In Search of Poverty Predictors: The Case of Urban and Rural Pakistan
AbstractThe main objective of this research is to provide correlates of household consumption or poverty using the latest household survey. The estimated coefficients and their weights may be used to predict poverty incidence from light monitoring survey such as Core Welfare Indicator Questionnaire (CWIQ). The CWIQ survey instrument essentially collects simple welfare indicators from a large segment of population and is not designed to measure income, consumption or expenditure. The paper estimates consumption functions separately for urban and rural areas. These functions are estimatedwith the help of non-monetary correlates of consumption and applied to predict poverty at provincial and district levels. The paper also provides the latest estimates of poverty in the country using a consistent methodology. Overall, 33 percent people were poor, according to estimates from the latest available household survey of 2001-02. Incidence, depth, and severity of poverty are high in rural areas, as compared to their urban counterpart.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pakistan Institute of Development Economics in its journal The Pakistan Development Review.
Volume (Year): 44 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zafar Mueen Nasir & Nasir Iqbal, 2009.
"Employers Size Wage Differential: Does Investment in Human Capital Matter?,"
The Pakistan Development Review,
Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 48(4), pages 509â521.
- Nasir, Zafar Mueen & Iqbal, Nasir, 2010. "Employers Size Wage Differential: Does Investment in Human Capital Matter?," MPRA Paper 27164, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Masood Sarwar Awan & Nasir Iqbal, 2010.
"Determinants of Urban Poverty: The Case of Medium Sized City in Pakistan,"
2010:60, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Masood Sarwar Awan & Nasir Iqbal, 2010. "Determinants of Urban Poverty : The Case of Medium Sized City in Pakistan," Development Economics Working Papers 22827, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Jan, Dawood & Chishti, Anwar F. & Eberle, Phillip R., 2008. "An Analysis of Major Determinants of Poverty in Agriculture Sector in Pakistan," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6241, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.