An Analysis of Poverty at the Local Level
AbstractUsing primary data from a union council of Punjab (Dhamyal), this article analyses the poverty and inequality at the lower administrative level. The analysis shows that 35 percent of the households are poor while there is wide variation of incidence of poverty among the seven villages of the union council. The highest magnitude of poverty in terms of incidence, intensity, and severity is found in the villages of Hayal and Mohra Bariyan. Location index also demonstrates that these two villages have high concentration of poverty as compared to its population share in the community. Income distribution by quintile shows that the bottom 20 percent households receive 6.7 percent of per capita income share while the upper 20 percent households receive 43 percent of per capita income share. Socio-economic dimensions of poverty reveal that a large number of earners, with large household size, a high dependency ratio, and a high percentage of illiterate head of the household, are marked in poor households. The housing and sanitation conditions of the community show that both poor and non-poor households are deprived of most civic amenities
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pakistan Institute of Development Economics in its journal The Pakistan Development Review.
Volume (Year): 44 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Hina Nazli & Sohail J. Malik, 2003. "Housing: Opportunity, Security, and Empowerment for the Poor," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 42(4), pages 893-908.
- Haroon Jamal & Amir Jahan Khan & Imran Ashraf Toor & Naveed Amir, 2003. "Mapping the Spatial Deprivation of Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 42(2), pages 91-111.
- Awan, Masood Sarwar & Iqbal, Nasir & Muhammad, Waqas, 2011. "The impact of human capital on urban poverty: The case of Sargodha city," MPRA Paper 31829, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Awan, Masood Sarwar & Malik, Nouman & Sarwar, Haroon & Waqas, Muhammad, 2011. "Impact of education on poverty reduction," MPRA Paper 31826, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.