A New Multiplicative Decomposition For The Foster-Greer-Thorbecke Poverty Indices
AbstractThis paper identifies a multiplicative decomposition for the Foster-Greer-Thorbecke poverty indices as a product of the three components which should be involved in every poverty index: the incidence of poverty, measured by the headcount ratio, the intensity of poverty, measured by the aggregate income gap ratio and the inequality among the poor measured by an increasing transformation of the corresponding inequality index of the Generalized Entropy family. Then, taking data from the Spanish Household Budget Surveys (SHB) as a basis we show the advantages and possibilities of this framework in regard to completing and detailing information in studies of poverty over time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Bulletin of Economic Research.
Volume (Year): 62 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (07)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0307-3378
Other versions of this item:
- Oihana Aristondo & Casilda Lasso de la Vega & Ana Urrutia, 2008. "A New Multiplicative Decomposition For The Foster-Greer-Thorbecke Poverty Indices," Working Papers 91, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- I30 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - General
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Oihana Aristondo & José Luis García-Lapresta & Casilda Lasso de la Vega & Ricardo Alberto Marques Pereira, 2011. "The Gini index,the dual decomposition of aggregation functions, and the consistent measurement of inequality," Working Papers 203, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.