Wages and earnings of marginalized social and religious groups in India: Data sources, scope, limitations and suggestions
AbstractThis paper provides the major sources of data for understanding wages and earnings of Social and Religious Groups in India. It also discusses the limitations of the data sets,and issues for further research but are limited by the availability of data for such research. It also provides suggestions for new data and ways to improve the existing statistical data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 37799.
Date of creation: 19 Feb 2012
Date of revision:
social groups; caste; religion; wages; India; data sources;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- C80 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-04-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2012-04-10 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-LMA-2012-04-10 (Labor Markets - Supply, Demand, & Wages)
- NEP-SOC-2012-04-10 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bhaumik, Sumon Kumar & Chakrabarty, Manisha, 2009.
"Is education the panacea for economic deprivation of Muslims?: Evidence from wage earners in India, 1987-2005,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 137-149, March.
- Bhaumik, Sumon K. & Chakrabarty, Manisha, 2007. "Is Education the Panacea for Economic Deprivation of Muslims? Evidence from Wage Earners in India, 1987–2005," IZA Discussion Papers 3232, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Madhura Swaminathan & Vikas Rawal, 2011. "Is India Really a Country of Low Income-Inequality? Observations from Eight Villages," Journal, Review of Agrarian Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 1-22, January-J.
- Sujoy Chakravarty & E. Somanathan, 2008. "Discrimination in an elite labour market? Job placements at the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 08-01, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Puja Vasudeva Dutta, 2004. "The Structure of Wages in India, 1983-1999," PRUS Working Papers 25, Poverty Research Unit at Sussex, University of Sussex.
- Lanjouw, Peter & Rao, Vijayendra, 2010.
"Revisiting between-group inequality measurement : an application to the dynamics of caste inequality in two Indian villages,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5337, The World Bank.
- Lanjouw, Peter & Rao, Vijayendra, 2011. "Revisiting Between-Group Inequality Measurement: An Application to the Dynamics of Caste Inequality in Two Indian Villages," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 174-187, February.
- Madhura Swaminathan, 1997. "The determinants of earnings among low-income workers in Bombay: An analysis of panel data," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(4), pages 535-551.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.