Italy, the fiscal dominance model, and the gold standard age
AbstractThe paper links money supply to the state budget deficit in the Italian historical context. The process of monetization of government deficit is analysed and is related both to the fixity of the exchange rate and free capital mobility typical of the 1860-1913 period. The empirical evidence supporting the view of Italy “shadowing” gold is discussed and the effect of government financing on money supply is tested. The conlusion discusses the implications of the model and of the empirical evidence for the interpretation of the Gold Standard.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 37155.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Monetary theory; Gold Standard; Fiscal theory; Economic History of Italy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- N13 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - Europe: Pre-1913
- H30 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - General
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giuseppe Tattara & or consequences), 2002.
"Paper Money but a Gold Debt. Italy in the Gold Standard,"
- Tattara, Giuseppe, 2003. "Paper money but a gold debt: Italy on the gold standard," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 122-142, April.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Flandreau, Marc, 1994.
"The Geography of the Gold Standard,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1050, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barry Eichengreen and Marc Flandreau., 1994. "The Geography of the Gold Standard," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C94-042, University of California at Berkeley.
- Fratianni,Michele & Spinelli,Franco, 2005.
"A Monetary History of Italy,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521023450, April.
- Fishlow, Albert, 1985. "Lessons from the past: capital markets during the 19th century and the interwar period," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(03), pages 383-439, June.
- Lucas, Robert Jr, 1976. "Econometric policy evaluation: A critique," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 19-46, January.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Storaci, Marina & Tattara, Giuseppe, 1998. "The external financing of Italian electric companies in the interwar years," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(03), pages 345-375, December.
- Marc Flandreau & Jacques Le Cacheux & Frédéric Zumer, 1998.
"Stability without a pact? Lessons from the European gold standard, 1880-1914,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 115-162, 04.
- Flandreau, Marc & Le Cacheux, Jacques & Zumer, Frédéric, 1998. "Stability Without a Pact? Lessons from the European Gold Standard 1880-1914," CEPR Discussion Papers 1872, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tattara, Giuseppe, 2002.
"Un margine di arbitraggio non sfruttato sulla Rendita Italiana a Parigi ?
[An Unexploited Arbitrage Margin on the Italian Rendita in Paris?]," MPRA Paper 10778, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tattara Giuseppe, 2002. "Un margine di arbitraggio non sfruttato sulla Rendita Italiana a Parigi?," Rivista di storia economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 51-64.
- Tattara, Giuseppe, 2003.
"Paper money but a gold debt: Italy on the gold standard,"
Explorations in Economic History,
Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 122-142, April.
- Giuseppe Tattara & or consequences), 2002. "Paper Money but a Gold Debt. Italy in the Gold Standard," Economic History 0205002, EconWPA.
- Luis CatÃ£o, 2006. "Sudden Stops and Currency Drops," IMF Working Papers 06/133, International Monetary Fund.
- tattara, Giuseppe, 1995.
"Bilancia dei pagamenti, movimenti dei capitali ed equilibrio interno nei primi 50 anni del regno d'Italia
[Balance of payments, capital movements, domestic equilibrium in the first 50 years of the ," MPRA Paper 39086, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.