Efecto de la Competencia de la Educación Privada sobre la Calidad de la Educación Pública
[Effect of Private Education Competition on the Quality of Public Education]
AbstractThis research examines the effects of private schools on public school’s quality. A premise of private school initiatives has been that these schools have direct benefits for students attending these schools and indirect benefits for other students by creating competition for public schools to improve their performance. Using cross sectional data for about 38 localities of Tucumán (2000), the research assesses how private school competition affects student-level achievement in public schools. The results show that competition doesn’t appear to improve the quality of public school
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 30772.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Competencia Educación Privada; Calidad Educación Pública; GEE;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George M. Holmes & Jeff DeSimone & Nicholas G. Rupp, 2003.
"Does School Choice Increase School Quality?,"
NBER Working Papers
9683, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francisco Gallego, 2002.
"Competencia y Resultados Educativos: Teoría y Evidencia para Chile,"
Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía,
Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 39(118), pages 309-352.
- Francisco A. Gallego, 2002. "Competencia y Resultados Educativos: Teoría y Evidencia para Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 150, Central Bank of Chile.
- Francisco Gallego, 2002. "Competencia y Resultados Educativos: TeorÃa y Evidencia para Chile," Documentos de Trabajo 217, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Borland, Melvin V. & Howsen, Roy M, 1992. "Student academic achievement and the degree of market concentration in education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 31-39, March.
- Couch, Jim F & Shughart, William F, II & Williams, Al L, 1993. " Private School Enrollment and Public School Performance," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 76(4), pages 301-12, August.
- Randall K. Filer & Daniel Münich, 2000.
"Responses of Private and Public Schools to Voucher Funding: The Czech and Hungarian Experience,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
360, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Randall K. Filer & Daniel Munich, 2000. "Responses of Private and Public Schools to Voucher Funding:The Czech and Hungarian Experience," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp160, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Randall K. Filer & Daniel Münich, 2001. "Responses of Private and Public Schools to Voucher Funding:The Czech and Hungarian Experience," HEW 0012002, EconWPA.
- Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera, 2000. "Determinación de factores explicativos de los resultados escolares en educación media en Chile," Documentos de Trabajo 85, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Herrera Gómez, Marcos & Aráoz, M. Florencia & de Lafuente, Gisela & D'jorge, Lucrecia & Granado, M. José & Michel Rivero, Andrés & Paz Terán, Corina, 2005.
"Técnicas para datos multinivel: Aplicación a los determinantes del rendimiento educativo
[Techniques for multilevel data: Application to the determinants of educational performance]," MPRA Paper 38736, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera, 1998. "Desempeño escolar y elección de colegios: La experiencia chilena," Documentos de Trabajo 36, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Julie Berry Cullen & Brian A. Jacob & Steven Levitt, 2003. "The Effect of School Choice on Student Outcomes: Evidence from Randomized Lotteries," NBER Working Papers 10113, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borland, M V & Howsen, R M, 1996. " Competition, Expenditures and Student Performance in Mathematics: A Comment on Couch et al," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 87(3-4), pages 395-400, June.
- Bettinger, Eric P., 2005. "The effect of charter schools on charter students and public schools," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 133-147, April.
- Dee, Thomas S., 1998. "Competition and the quality of public schools," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 419-427, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.