Competition, Expenditures and Student Performance in Mathematics: A Comment on Couch et al
AbstractIn a recent issue of this journal (August, 1993), Couch et al. find that competition, as measured by the percentage of school-age children in a county who attend private schools, increases student performance in public schools. In addition, they find that school expenditures are positive and significant, although only marginally significant, in terms of influence on student performance. This paper extends the work by Couch et al. in two ways. First, this paper defines competition so as to include the effects of other public schools as well as private schools on student performance. Second, this paper explores the simultaneity of student performance and expenditures within the model formulation. Evidence presented suggests (1) that competition, as measured by other public schools and private schools, increases student performance, and (2) that empirical studies in this area need to recognize the simultaneous relationship between student performance and expenditures. Copyright 1996 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Public Choice.
Volume (Year): 87 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3-4 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100332
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Edwin G. West & Zhiqi Chen, 2000.
"Selective versus Universal Vouchers: Modelling Median Voter Preferences in Education,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1520-1534, December.
- Z. Chen & Edwin G. West, 1998. "Selective Versus Universal Vouchers: Modelling Median Voter Preferences in Education," Carleton Economic Papers 98-02, Carleton University, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2000.
- Paul Teske & Mark Schneider, 2001. "What Research Can Tell Policymakers about School Choice," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 609-631.
- Fox, William F. & Gurley, Tami, 2006. "Will consolidation improve sub-national governments ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3913, The World Bank.
- Ron Zimmer & Brian Gill & Paula Razquin & Kevin Booker & J.R. Lockwood III, 2007. "Title I School Choice, Supplemental Educational Services, and Student Achievement," Mathematica Policy Research Reports, Mathematica Policy Research 5562, Mathematica Policy Research.
- Greene, Kenneth V. & Kang, Byung-Goo, 2004. "The effect of public and private competition on high school outputs in New York State," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 497-506, October.
- Brorsen, B. Wade & Jacques, Charles, 1997. "The Effects of Historical Settlement Patterns on Oklahoma Student Achievement Test Scores," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35858, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Filer, Randall K. & MÃ¼nich, Daniel, 2013. "Responses of private and public schools to voucher funding," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 269-285.
- David M. Brasington, . "Public and Private School Competition: The Spatial Education Production Function," Departmental Working Papers, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University 2005-09, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Herrera Gómez, Marcos, 2006.
"Efecto de la Competencia de la Educación Privada sobre la Calidad de la Educación Pública
[Effect of Private Education Competition on the Quality of Public Education]," MPRA Paper 30772, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Brasington, D. M., 2003. "The supply of public school quality," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 367-377, August.
- Jacques, Charles & Brorsen, B. Wade & Richter, Francisca G.-C., 2000. "Consolidating Rural School Districts: Potential Savings And Effects On Student Achievement," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(03), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.