Contrattazione aziendale integrativa e differenziali salariali territoriali: informazioni dall'indagine sulle imprese della Banca d'Italia
AbstractCollective bargaining at company level has not been particularly widespread, especially at small firms and in the South. The Bank of Italy’s survey shows that performancerelated wage premia have been paid irregularly and have involved only small amounts. Nevertheless they have fostered a gradual widening of regional and skill-based wage differentials. In 2002-07 the earnings items set at company level, in addition to the contractual minimums, averaged 14.9 per cent in industrial firms; 6.7 per cent only for firms below 50 workers. Controlling for firm size and characteristics, the company-level component of earnings was some 5-6 percentage points lower in the South than in the North for production workers and 8-9 points for clerical workers. The original finding of the study is that just 10 per cent of employees in the North earn only the nationally fixed contractual minimum, compared with 30 per cent in the Centre and over 40 per cent in the South. A short examination of geographical wage differentials, controlling for sector, and firm size concludes
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 29384.
Date of creation: Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Politica Economica n.2 2010.XXVI(2010): pp. 241-291
wage bargaining; firm-level contracts; territorial wage differentials.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- J41 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Labor Contracts
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrea Brandolini & Piero Casadio & Piero Cipollone & Marco Magnani & Alfonso Rosolia, 2007. "Employment Growth in Italy in the 1990s: Institutional Arrangements and Market Forces," AIEL Series in Labour Economics, in: Nicola Acocella & Riccardo Leoni (ed.), Social Pacts, Employment and Growth. A Reappraisal of Ezio Tarantelli’s Thought, edition 1, chapter 4, pages 31-68 AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro.
- Checchi Daniele & Pagani Laura, 2005.
"The effects of unions on wage inequality. The Italian case in the 1990s,"
Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 43-70.
- Daniele CHECCHI & Laura PAGANI, 2004. "The effects of unions on wage inequality. The Italian case in the 1990's," Departmental Working Papers 2004-29, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Checchi, Daniele & Pagani, Laura, 2004. "The Effects of Unions on Wage Inequality: The Italian Case in the 1990s," IZA Discussion Papers 1385, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pini Paolo, 2005. "Dinamiche innovative, partecipazione e risultati d'impresa in un sistema locale di produzione," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 3-24.
- Arellano, Manuel & Honore, Bo, 2001.
"Panel data models: some recent developments,"
Handbook of Econometrics,
in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 53, pages 3229-3296
- Sergio DESTEFANIS & Giuseppe MASTROMATTEO & Giovanni VERGA, 2005. "Wages and Monetary Policy in Italy Before and After the Wage Agreements," Rivista Internazionale di Scienze Sociali, Vita e Pensiero, Pubblicazioni dell'Universita' Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, vol. 113(2), pages 289-318.
- Annalisa CRISTINI & Alessandro GAJ & Sandrine LABORY & Riccardo LEONI, 2003. "Flat Hierarchical Structure, Bundles of New Work Practices and Firm Performance," Rivista Italiana degli Economisti, SIE - Societa' Italiana degli Economisti (I), vol. 8(2), pages 313, August.
- Cristini Annalisa & Gaj Alessandro & Labory Sandrine & Leoni Riccardo, 2003. "Flat Hierarchical Structure, Bundles of New Work Practices and Firm Performance," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 313.
- Annalisa Cristini & Riccardo Leoni, 2007. "The ’93 July Agreement in Italy: Bargaining Power, Efficiency Wages or Both?," AIEL Series in Labour Economics, in: Nicola Acocella & Riccardo Leoni (ed.), Social Pacts, Employment and Growth. A Reappraisal of Ezio Tarantelli’s Thought, edition 1, chapter 6, pages 97-119 AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro.
- William Greene, 2004. "The behaviour of the maximum likelihood estimator of limited dependent variable models in the presence of fixed effects," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(1), pages 98-119, 06.
- Piero CASADIO & Maria LAMELAS & Giorgio RODANO, 2005. "Cambiamento istituzionale, salari e flessibilità: l’esperienza della concertazione in Italia," Rivista Internazionale di Scienze Sociali, Vita e Pensiero, Pubblicazioni dell'Universita' Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, vol. 113(2), pages 185-214.
- Piero, Casadio, 2003. "Wage formation in the Italian private sector after the 1992-93 income policy agreements," MPRA Paper 29396, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carlo Dell'Aringa & Laura Pagani, 2007. "Collective Bargaining and Wage Dispersion in Europe," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 45(1), pages 29-54, 03.
- Mirella Damiani & Andrea Ricci, 2012. "The role of education of entrepreneurs on adoption of different contingent pay schemes: evidence from Italian firms," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 116/2013, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Damiani, Mirella & Ricci, Andrea, 2013. "Entrepreneurs’ education and different variable pay schemes in Italian firms," MPRA Paper 46163, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mirella Damiani & Andrea Ricci, 2011. "Decentralised bargaining and performance related pay: new evidence from a panel of Italian firms," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 97/2011, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.