Transfert de technologie dans une ville carrée à deux dimensions avec cout de transport quadratique
AbstractThis paper studies and compares licensing regimes of a cost reducing innovation in a two dimensional square city where consumers are located in the interior of the square city and pay a quadratic transport cost when moving to one of the competing firms. The difference between results in this model and results in the other models of the existing literature is that here I find that royalties licensing is always better than fixed fee licensing independently of the size of the innovation. This result contradicts those found in a linear city à la Hotelling and in a circular city à la Salop. However, the paper shows that optimal licensing strategies for the patent holding firm are the same as in a Hotelling model where royalties are better for a non drastic innovation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 23158.
Date of creation: Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Technology transfer; Patent licensing; Square city;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- L24 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Contracting Out; Joint Ventures
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-INO-2010-06-18 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2010-06-18 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-TID-2010-06-18 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
- NEP-URE-2010-06-18 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wang, X. Henry, 1998. "Fee versus royalty licensing in a Cournot duopoly model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 55-62, July.
- Bouguezzi, Fehmi, 2010. "Technology transfer in a linear city with symmetric locations," MPRA Paper 21055, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.