The resource-based view: A review and assessment of its critiques
AbstractThe resource-based view (RBV) of the firm has been around for over twenty years - during which time it has been both widely taken up and subjected to considerable criticism. The authors review and assess the principal critiques evident in the literature, arguing they fall into eight categories. They conclude the RBV’s core message can withstand criticism from five of these quite well provided the RBV’s variables, boundaries and applicability are adequately specified. Three critiques that cannot be readily dismissed call for further theorizing and research. They arise from the indeterminate nature of two of the RBV's basic concepts – resource and value – and the narrow conceptualization of a firm's competitive advantage. The authors feel the RBV community has clung to an inappropriately narrow neo-classical economic rationality, thereby diminishing its opportunities for progress. Their suggestions may assist with developing the RBV into a more viable theory of competitive advantage, especially if it is moved into a genuinely dynamic framework.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 21442.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Management 1.36(2010): pp. 349-372
resource-based view; sustained competitive advantage; Austrian economics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B21 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Microeconomics
- D20 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - General
- B53 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Current Heterodox Approaches - - - Austrian
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mahoney, Joseph T., 1995. "The management of resources and the resource of management," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 91-101, June.
- David G. Hoopes & Tammy L. Madsen, 2008. "A capability-based view of competitive heterogeneity," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(3), pages 393-426, June.
- Richard N. Langlois, 2005.
"The Entrepreneurial Theory of the Firm and the Theory of the Entrepreneurial Firm,"
2005-27, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised Oct 2005.
- Richard N. Langlois, 2007. "The Entrepreneurial Theory of the Firm and the Theory of the Entrepreneurial Firm," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(7), pages 1107-1124, November.
- Witt, Ulrich, 1998. "Imagination and leadership - The neglected dimension of an evolutionary theory of the firm," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 161-177, April.
- Kirsten Foss & Nicolai J. Foss & Peter G. Klein & Sandra K. Klein, 2007. "The Entrepreneurial Organization of Heterogeneous Capital," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(7), pages 1165-1186, November.
- Nicolai J Foss & Thorbjørn Knudsen, .
"The Ressource-Based Tangle: Towards a Sustainable Explanation of Competitive Advantage,"
IVS/CBS Working Papers
00-1, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy, Copenhagen Business School.
- Nicolai J. Foss & Thorbj�rn Knudsen, 2003. "The resource-based tangle: towards a sustainable explanation of competitive advantage," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 291-307.
- Paul Romer, 1991.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
NBER Working Papers
3210, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- U. Witt, 2005.
"Firms as Realizations of Entrepreneurial Visions,"
Papers on Economics and Evolution
2005-10, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- Kirsten Foss & Nicolai J. Foss & Peter G. Klein, 2006. "Original and Derived Judgment An Entrepreneurial Theory of Economic Organization," DRUID Working Papers 06-09, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Nicolai J. Foss & Peter G. Klein, 2004. "Entrepreneurshoip and the Economic Theory of the Firm Any Gains from Trade?," DRUID Working Papers 04-12, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Margaret A. Peteraf & Jay B. Barney, 2003. "Unraveling the resource-based tangle," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 309-323.
- S. Fukuda-Parr, 2003. "Editor's Introduction," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 323-324.
- Witt, Ulrich, 1999.
" Do Entrepreneurs Need Firms? A Contribution to a Missing Chapter in Austrian Economics,"
The Review of Austrian Economics,
Springer, vol. 11(1-2), pages 99-109.
- Ulrich Witt, 1999. "Do Entrepreneurs Need Firms? A Contribution to a Missing Chapter in Austrian Economics," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 99-109, January.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and Sustainability of Competitive Advantage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1504-1511, December.
- Jerker Denrell & Christina Fang & Sidney Winter, 2003. "The Economics of Strategic Opportunity," LEM Papers Series 2003/10, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Gibbons, Robert, 2005. "Four forma(lizable) theories of the firm?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 200-245, October.
- Foss, Nicolai Juul, 1994. " The Theory of the Firm: The Austrians as Precursors and Critics of Contemporary Theory," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 31-65.
- Giovanni Dosi & Marco Faillo & Luigi Marengo, 2003. "Organizational Capabilities, Patterns of Knowledge Accumulation and Governance Structures in Business Firms. An Introduction," LEM Papers Series 2003/11, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Alchian, Armen A. & Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "The Property Right Paradigm," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(01), pages 16-27, March.
- Saras Sarasvathy & Nicholas Dew, 2005. "New market creation through transformation," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 15(5), pages 533-565, November.
- Nicolai J. Foss, 2006. "The Emerging Knowledge Governance Approach Challenges and Characteristics," DRUID Working Papers 06-10, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Lang, Åsa & Macuchova, Zuzana & Rudholm, Niklas, 2011. "Firm Growth in the Retail and Wholesale Trade Sectors – Evidence from Sweden," HUI Working Papers 50, HUI Research.
- Helm, Roland & Gleißner, Werner & Kreiter, Susanne, 2012. "Messung von Wettbewerbsvorteilen und Marktattraktivität für die strategische Planung," University of Regensburg Working Papers in Business, Economics and Management Information Systems 468, University of Regensburg, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.