Options for Income-Enhancing Diversification in Burkina Faso
AbstractOne of the objectives of this CEM was to identify the most promising products and conduct competitiveness diagnostic. The products list is summarized in Table 1 below. Competitiveness, in this report, is seen as a combination of productivity and costs, and the second section of the CEM presents industry chapters that systematically benchmarks Burkina’s competitiveness performance against its main competitors. Sectoral chapters also explore reforms achieved and their impact on productivity, list remaining bottlenecks and opportunities and discuss possible emulation from other countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 20928.
Date of creation: 24 Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Promoting Growth, Competitiveness and Diversification Report No. 51815-BF.1(2009): pp. 44-63
Burkina Faso; Exports; Product Space; Economic Diversification; Economig Growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O55 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Africa
- O25 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Industrial Policy
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2010-03-13 (Africa)
- NEP-AGR-2010-03-13 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2010-03-13 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pardey, Philip G. & Beintema, Nienke M. & Dehmer, Steven & Wood, Stanley, 2006. "Agricultural research: a growing global divide?," Food policy reports 17, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Peter S. Heller, 2005. "Understanding Fiscal Space," IMF Policy Discussion Papers 05/4, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael Grimm & Isabel Günther, 2005.
"Growth and Poverty in Burkina Faso. A Reassessment of the Paradox,"
DT/2005/07, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Michael Grimm & Isabel Günther, 2007. "Growth and Poverty in Burkina Faso: A Reassessment of the Paradox," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 16(1), pages 70-101, January.
- Michael Grimm & Isabel Günther, 2005. "Growth and Poverty in Burkina Faso: A Reassessment of the Paradox," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 482, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Arvis, Jean-Francois & Raballand, Gael & Marteau, Jean-Francois, 2007.
"The cost of being landlocked : logistics costs and supply chain reliability,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4258, The World Bank.
- Jean-François Arvis & Gaël Raballand & Jean-François Marteau, 2010. "The Cost of Being Landlocked : Logistics Costs and Supply Chain Reliability," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2489.
- Julie Dana & Christopher L. Gilbert, 2008. "Managing Agricultural Price Risk in Developing Countries," Department of Economics Working Papers 0819, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Kim Jong-Il & Lau Lawrence J., 1994. "The Sources of Economic Growth of the East Asian Newly Industrialized Countries," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 235-271, September.
- Oshikoya, Temitope W, 1994. "Macroeconomic Determinants of Domestic Private Investment in Africa: An Empirical Analysis," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(3), pages 573-96, April.
- Atsushi Iimi, 2006. "Did Botswana Escape from the Resource Curse?," IMF Working Papers 06/138, International Monetary Fund.
- William D. Nordhaus, 2000.
"Alternative Methods for Measuring Productivity Growth,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1282, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- William D. Nordhaus, 2001. "Alternative Methods for Measuring Productivity Growth," NBER Working Papers 8095, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Badiane, Ousmane & Ghura, Dhaneshwar & Goreux, Louis & Masson, Paul, 2002.
"Cotton sector strategies in West and Central Africa,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2867, The World Bank.
- Louis M. Goreux & Paul R. Masson & Dhaneshwar Ghura & Ousmane Badiane, 2002. "Cotton Sector Strategies in West and Central Africa," IMF Working Papers 02/173, International Monetary Fund.
- Habiyaremye, Alexis & Ziesemer, Thomas, 2006.
"Absorptive Capacity and Export Diversification in Sub-Saharan African Countries,"
UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series
030, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Habiyaremye, Alexis & Ziesemer, Thomas, 2006. "Absorptive Capacity and Export Diversification in Sub-Saharan African Countries," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 030, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology.
- repec:fth:oxesaf:97-2.1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jean Imbs & Romain Wacziarg, 2003.
"Stages of Diversification,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 63-86, March.
- MacKellar, Landis & Woergoetter, Andreas & Woerz, Julia, 2000. "Economic Development Problems of Landlocked Countries," Transition Economics Series 14, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Lawrence H. Summers, 1981. "Taxation and Corporate Investment: A q-Theory Approach," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 12(1), pages 67-140.
- Supee Teravaninthorn & Gaël Raballand, 2009. "Transport Prices and Costs in Africa : A Review of the International Corridors," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6610.
- Jean-Pierre Cling & Mireille Razafindrakoto & François Roubaud, 2007. "Export Processing Zones in Madagascar: the impact of the dismantling of clothing quotas on employment and labour standards," Working Papers DT/2007/06, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Sachs, J-D & Warner, A-M, 1995.
"Natural Resource Abundance and Economic Growth,"
517a, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Paul Collier & Jan Willem Gunning, 1997.
"Explaining African economic performance,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
1997-02.2, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 177-200, March.
- Sachs, Jeffrey D. & Warner, Andrew M., 2001. "The curse of natural resources," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 827-838, May.
- J. Luis Guasch & Jean-Louis Racine & Isabel Sánchez & Makhtar Diop, 2007. "Quality Systems and Standards for a Competitive Edge," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6768.
- Richard Newfarmer & William Shaw & Peter Walkenhorst, 2009. "Breaking Into New Markets," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2616.
- Poulton, Colin & Gibbon, Peter & Hanyani-Mlambo, Benjamine & Kydd, Jonathan & Maro, Wilbald & Larsen, Marianne Nylandsted & Osorio, Afonso & Tschirley, David & Zulu, Ballard, 2004. "Competition and Coordination in Liberalized African Cotton Market Systems," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 519-536, March.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Klinger, Bailey, 2006. "Structural Transformation and Patterns of Comparative Advantage in the Product Space," Working Paper Series rwp06-041, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Magnus Saxegaard & StÃ©phane Roudet & Charalambos G. Tsangarides, 2007. "Estimation of Equilibrium Exchange Rates in the WAEMU: A Robustness Approach," IMF Working Papers 07/194, International Monetary Fund.
- Benn Eifert & Alan Gelb & Vijaya Ramachandran, 2005. "Business Environment and Comparative Advantage in Africa: Evidence from the Investment Climate Data," Working Papers 56, Center for Global Development.
- Clements, Kenneth W. & Ahammad, Helal & Qiang, Ye, 1996. "New mining and mineral-processing projects in Western Australia: Effects of employment and the macro-economy," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 293-346, December.
- Wood, Adrian & Mayer, Jorg, 2001. "Africa's Export Structure in a Comparative Perspective," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(3), pages 369-94, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.