Transport Prices and Costs in Africa : A Review of the International Corridors
AbstractThe objective of the study is to examine, identify, and quantify the factors behind Africa's high prices for road transport. Such prices are a major obstacle to economic growth in the region, as shown in several studies. For example, Amjadi and Yeats (1995) concluded that transport costs in Africa were a higher trade barrier than were import tariffs and trade restrictions. Other analyses by the World Bank (2007a) demonstrated that Africa's transport prices were high compared to the value of the goods transported and that transport predictability and reliability were low by international standards. This study's findings should help policy makers take actions that will reduce transport costs to domestic and international trade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 6610 and published in 2009.
Roads and Highways Macroeconomics and Economic Growth - Markets and Market Access Transport Economics Policy and Planning Environmental Economics and Policies Rural Roads and Transport Rural Development Environment Transport;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Seck, Abdoulaye & Cissokho, Lassana & Makpayo, Kossi & Haughton, Jonathan, 2010. "How Important Are Non-Tariff Barriers to Agricultural Trade within ECOWAS?," Working Papers 2010-3, Suffolk University, Department of Economics.
- Portugal-Perez, Alberto & Wilson, John S., 2008.
"Why trade facilitation matters to Africa ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4719, The World Bank.
- Ranganathan, Rupa & Foster, Vivien, 2011. "The SADC's infrastructure : a regional perspective," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5898, The World Bank.
- Storeygard, Adam, 2013. "Farther on down the road : transport costs, trade and urban growth in Sub-Saharan Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6444, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2013. "Cameroon Economic Update, July 2013 : Towards Greater Equity, A Special Focus on Health," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15976, The World Bank.
- Carole Megevand, 2013. "Deforestation Trends in the Congo Basin : Reconciling Economic Growth and Forest Protection," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 12477, March.
- Olivier Cadot & Ana Fernandes & Julien Gourdon & Aaditya Mattoo & Jaime de Melo, 2013.
"Evaluating Aid for Trade: A Survey of Recent Studies,"
2013-33, CEPII research center.
- Cadot, Olivier & ernandes, Ana & Gourdon, Julien & Mattoo, Aaditya & de Melo, Jaime, 2014. "Evaluating aid for trade : a survey of recent studies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6742, The World Bank.
- Ranganathan, Rupa & Foster, Vivien, 2011. "ECOWAS's infrastructure : a regional perspective," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5899, The World Bank.
- Kelly, Valerie A. & Murekezi, Abdoul Karim & Me-Nsope, Nathalie Mongue & Perakis, Sonja Melissa & Mather, David, 2013. "Cereal Market Dynamics: The Malian Experience from the 1990s to Present," Food Security International Development Working Papers 146935, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Ihle, Rico & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan & Zorya, Sergiy, 2010. "Country and border effects in the transmission of maize prices in Eastern Africa: evidence from a semi-parametric regression model," 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa 96184, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE) & Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA).
- Somik V. Lall, 2009. "Territorial Development Policy : A Practitioner's Guide," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12698, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2012. "Agricultural Potential, Rural Roads, and Farm Competitiveness in South Sudan," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11885, The World Bank.
- Monica Beuran & Marie Castaing Gachassin & Gaël Raballand, 2013.
"Are There Myths on Road Impact and Transport in Sub-Saharan Africa?,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
13049, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Monica Beuran & Marie Castaing Gachassin & Gaël Raballand, 2013. "Are There Myths on Road Impact and Transport in Sub-Saharan Africa?," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00830006, HAL.
- Dominguez-Torres, Carolina & Foster, Vivien, 2011. "The Central African Republic's infrastructure : a continental perspective," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5697, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2012. "Agribusiness Indicators : Ghana," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12893, The World Bank.
- Perakis, Sonja Melissa, 2012. "“Changing Spatial Maize Price Relationships in West Africa”," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124910, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- World Bank, 2012. "Reshaping Economic Geography of East Africa : From Regional to Global Integration (Vol. 1 of 2)," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11930, The World Bank.
- John Pickles, 2012. "South African horticulture: opportunities and challenges for economic and social upgrading in value chains," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series ctg-2012-13, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Ranganathan, Rupa & Foster, Vivien, 2011. "ECCAS's infrastructure : a regional perspective," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5857, The World Bank.
- Ranganathan, Rupa & Foster, Vivien, 2011. "East Africa's infrastructure : a regional perspective," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5844, The World Bank.
- Bumb, Balu L. & Johnson, Michael E. & Fuentes, Porfirio A., 2011. "Policy options for improving regional fertilizer markets in West Africa:," IFPRI discussion papers 1084, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Chandra, Vandana & Osorio Rodarte, Israel, 2009. "Options for Income-Enhancing Diversification in Burkina Faso," MPRA Paper 20928, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.