Small farmers' access to high-value markets: what can we learn from the Malawi pigeopea value chain?
AbstractAccess to high-value markets remains one of the major challenges facing smallholder farmers in Africa. The paper applies a value chain analysis to the pigeonpea sub-sector in Malawi to determine ways of improving the access of small farmers to the global pigeonpea markets. The value chain analysis, complemented by primary data from a sample of 200 farmers, investigates the nature of the pigeonpea value chain by highlighting the main actors and the sources of inefficiency along the chain. The study shows that pigeonpea production is dominated by smallholder farmers with limited access to market information and who are also faced with lack of access to improved varieties. For the Malawian exporters, their competitiveness is being undermined by high freight costs and low pigeonpea grain quality. Policies to improve market institutional innovations through the use of the leading farmer organization, NASFAM, have the potential of improving the competitiveness of the producers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 15397.
Date of creation: 08 Jan 2009
Date of revision:
Pigeonpea; value chain; smallholder farmers; Malawi;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N57 - Economic History - - Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment and Extractive Industries - - - Africa; Oceania
- D13 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Household Production and Intrahouse Allocation
- B21 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Microeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2009-05-30 (Africa)
- NEP-AGR-2009-05-30 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-05-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2009-05-30 (Economics of Strategic Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.