Reexamination of the Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) under Cournot Competition
AbstractThis paper reexamines the Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) in an open economy macroeconomic model with Cournot competition in the international trade of a unique good. Foreign and domestic firms have a Cournot perception of foreign and domestic markets and make separate quantity decisions for each market taking the quantity decisions of the other firm as given. In introducing the money, the balance of payments relation and the nominal exchange rate, the PPP implied by the law of one price can be reexamined. We show that the imperfect competition and symetric trade barriers are not enough to break the absolute and relative PPP. But under symmetric trade barriers, asymmetric policy and macroeconomic conditions are sufficient for the absolute PPP not to hold, while asymmetric trade barriers are enough to break it. These results are developed without calling on the role of non-tradable goods, shifts in the consumers’ tastes or technological changes, which are commonly considered as the principal factors to break the absolute and relative PPP. Conditions under which the relative PPP is not verified are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 13906.
Date of creation: Feb 1995
Date of revision: Oct 1995
Purchasing Power Parity (PPP); Cournot perception firms;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brander, James A., 1981.
"Intra-industry trade in identical commodities,"
Journal of International Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 1-14, February.
- James Brander, 1980. "Intra-Industry Trade in Identical Commodities," Working Papers, Queen's University, Department of Economics 380, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Fender, J. & Yip, C.K., 1992.
"Open Economy Macroeconomics Under Imperfect Cmpetition: A Two Country Model,"
Discussion Papers, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham
92-18, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Fender, John & Yip, Chong K., 1994. "Open economy macroeconomics under imperfect competition A two-country model," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(1-2), pages 49-63, August.
- Dai, Meixing, 1995. "The Nominal Exchange Rate Implication of VAT Harmonization in EEC," MPRA Paper 13860, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 1996.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.