Financial constraints and exports: evidence from Portuguese manufacturing firms
AbstractThis paper analyzes the links between financial constraints and firm export behavior, at the firm level, by using data on Portuguese manufacturing enterprises. Theoretical models of Chaney (2005) and Manova (2010) suggest that credit constraints are detrimental for exports but no model explains consistently why exports could improve firms´ financial health. Previous empirical literature has not yet reached a consensus on these subjects and there is a great heterogeneity in measuring financial constraints and how to assess the causality relationships; results are also quite heterogeneous. Developing a very recent trend, we approximate credit constraints by using a financial score built on eight variables; to assess the effects of exports on the financial status of firms we apply, for the first time to these types of studies, a propensity score matching with difference in differences. This procedure is used to deal with the endogeneity problems, stemming from the fact that new exporters have most likely initial better financial health. We find that firms enjoying better financial health are more likely to become exporters and that new exporters show improvements in their financial situation. These findings have important policy implications as they suggest that public intervention to support exports is clearly justified.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto in its series FEP Working Papers with number 402.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2011
Date of revision:
exports; matching; financial constraints; corporate finances;
Other versions of this item:
- Armando Silva, 2011. "Financial Constraints and Exports: Evidence from Portuguese Manufacturing Firms," International Journal of Economic Sciences and Applied Research (IJESAR), Technological Educational Institute (TEI) of Kavala, Greece, vol. 4(3), pages 7-19, December.
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-02-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2011-02-12 (European Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2011-02-12 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-ENT-2011-02-12 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INT-2011-02-12 (International Trade)
- NEP-SBM-2011-02-12 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2007.
"The Impact of Financial Constraints on Firms Survival and Growth,"
Sciences Po publications
2007-37, Sciences Po.
- Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2008. "The impact of financial constraints on firm survival and growth," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 135-149, April.
- Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2007. "The Impact of Financial Constaints on Firm Survival and Growth," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2007-37, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann, 2003.
"The Credit Channel in Middle Income Countries,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
832, CESifo Group Munich.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Farinas, Jose C. & Ruano, Sonia, 2002. "Firm productivity and export markets: a non-parametric approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 397-422, August.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta & Stefano Schiavo, 2010.
"Financial Constraints and Firm Export Behaviour,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 347-373, 03.
- Lionel Nesta & Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2008. "Financial Constraints and Firm Export Behavior," Sciences Po publications 16, 2008, Sciences Po.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta & Stefano Schiavo, 2008. "Financial Constraints and Firm Export Behavior," Department of Economics Working Papers 0816, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Vlad Manole & Mariana Spatareanu, 2009.
"Exporting, Capital Investment and Financial Constraints,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
25209, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Manole, Vlad & Spatareanu, Mariana, 2010. "Exporting, capital investment and financial constraints," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/283010, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Vlad Manole & Mariana Spatareanu, 2009. "Exporting, Capital Investment and Financial Constraints," Working Papers Rutgers University, Newark 2009-005, Department of Economics, Rutgers University, Newark.
- Sascha O. Becker & Andrea Ichino, 2002. "Estimation of average treatment effects based on propensity scores," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(4), pages 358-377, November.
- De Loecker, Jan, 2010.
"A Note on Detecting Learning by Exporting,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8121, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- De Loecker, Jan, 2007.
"Do exports generate higher productivity? Evidence from Slovenia,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 69-98, September.
- Jan De Loecker, 2004. "Do Exports Generate Higher Productivity? Evidence from Slovenia," LICOS Discussion Papers 15104, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Nakhoda, Aadil, 2012. "The influence of financial leverage of firms on their international trading activities," MPRA Paper 35765, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Horácio C. Faustino & Joana C. Lima & Pedro Verga Matos, 2012. "Exports, Productivity and Innovation: Evidence from Portugal using micro data," Working Papers 2012/13, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- Gautam, Vikash, 2011. "Evidence on the dynamics of investment-cash flow sensitivity," MPRA Paper 35431, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2011.
- Filipe Silva & Carlos Carreira, 2011.
"Financial Constraints and Exports: An Analysis of Portuguese Firms During the European Monetary Integration,"
Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra, issue 34, pages 35-56, December.
- Filipe SIlva & Carlos Carreira, 2011. "Financial constraints and exports: An analysis of Portuguese firms during the European monetary integration," GEMF Working Papers 2011-13, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Filipe Silva & Carlos Carreira, 2011. "Financial constraints, exports and monetary integration - Financial constraints and exports: An analysis of Portuguese firms during the European monetary integration," GEE Papers 0039, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação, revised Jul 2011.
- Filipe Silva & Carlos Carreira, 2012.
"Measuring Firms' Financial Constraints: A Rough Guide,"
GEMF Working Papers
2012-14, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Filipe Silva & Carlos Carreira, 2012. "Measuring Firms' Financial Constraints: A Rough Guide," Notas Económicas, Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra, issue 36, pages 23-46, December.
- Joachim Wagner, 2012.
"Credit constraints and exports: Evidence for German manufacturing enterprises,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
251, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2012. "Credit constraints and exports: Evidence for German manufacturing enterprises," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 286, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.