Outward Orientation, Investment and Finance Constraints: A Study of Indian Firms
AbstractWe investigate the presence of finance constraints on firms' investment behaviour using Indian manufacturing as a case study. This question becomes particularly interesting in the post-1991 period when substantial market oriented reforms were undertaken. We argue that in the Indian institutional context (especially, the underdeveloped state of bankruptcy laws and restrictive exit procedures) outward orientation rather than size is the relevant criteria for distinguishing firms that may be 'finance-constrained' from those that are not. Using panel data for 718 Indian manufacturing firms for the period 1993-98, we find that exporting firms are less constrained in financial markets than firms which sell primarily to domestic markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 37 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lionel Nesta & Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2008.
"Financial constraints as a barrier to export participation,"
Sciences Po publications
29, Sciences Po.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta & Stefano Schiavo, 2008. "Financial constraints as a barrier to export participation," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2008-29, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Lionel Nesta & Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2008. "Financial Constraints as a Barrier to Export Participation," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/9797, Sciences Po.
- Espanol, Paula, 2006. "Why exporters can be financially constrained in a recently liberalised economy? A puzzle based on Argentinean firms during the 1990s," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2006 7, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Sandra M. Leitner & Robert Stehrer, 2013. "Access to finance and funding composition during the crisis: A firm-level analysis of Latin American countries," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 50(1), pages 1-47, May.
- Bhattacharyya, Surajit, 2008. "Determinants of Corporate Investment: Post Liberalization Panel Data Evidence from Indian Firms," MPRA Paper 6702, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sumon Bhaumik & Pranab Kumar Das & Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2011. "Firm Investment & Credit Constraints in India, 1997 – 2006: A stochastic frontier approach," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1010, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Arnab Bhattacharjee & Sumit K. Majumdar, 2011. "How much does industry matter in an emerging market economy?," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 256, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Gautam, Vikash, 2011. "Evidence on the dynamics of investment-cash flow sensitivity," MPRA Paper 35431, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.