A Nonparametric Analysis of the Cournot Model
AbstractAn observer makes a number of observations of an industry producing a homoge- neous good. Each observation consists of the market price, the output of individual firms and perhaps information on each firm's production cost. We provide vari- ous tests (typically, linear programs) with which the observer can determine if the data set is consistent with the hypothesis that firms in this industry are playing a Cournot game at each observation. When cost information is wholly or partially unavailable, these tests could potentially be used to derive cost information on the firms. This paper is a contribution to the literature that aims to characterize (in various contexts) the restrictions that a data set must satisfy for it to be consis- tent with Nash outcomes in a game. It is also inspired by the seminal result of Afriat (and the subsequent literature) which addresses similar issues in the context of consumer demand, though one important technical difference from most of these results is that the objective functions of firms in a Cournot game are not necessarily quasiconcave.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford in its series Economics Papers with number 2009-W15.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 24 Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.nuff.ox.ac.uk/economics/
revealed preference; observable restrictions; linear programming; Cournot game; increasing marginal costs.;
Other versions of this item:
- Carvajal, Andres & Quah, John K.-H., 2009. "A Nonparametric Analysis of the Cournot Model," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 922, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- John Quah & Andres Carvajal, 2009. "A Nonparametric Analysis of the Cournot Model," Economics Series Working Papers 465, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carvajal, Andres, 2004.
"Testable restrictions on the equilibrium manifold under random preferences,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 121-143, February.
- Andrés Carvajal, . "Testable Restrictions on the Equilibrium Manifold under Random Preferences," Borradores de Economia 233, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Andrés Carvajal, 2003. "Testable Restrictions On The Equilibrium Manifold Under Random Preferences," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 001899, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Matzkin, Rosa L, 1991. "Axioms of Revealed Preference for Nonlinear Choice Sets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1779-86, November.
- Francoise Forges & Enrico Minelli, 2006.
"Afriat’s Theorem for General Budget Sets,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1703, CESifo Group Munich.
- Brown, Donald J & Matzkin, Rosa L, 1996.
"Testable Restrictions on the Equilibrium Manifold,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(6), pages 1249-62, November.
- Andrés Carvajal, 2003.
"Testable Restrictions of Nash Equilibrium in Games with Continuous Domains,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
003555, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Andrés Carvajal, . "Testable Restrictions of Nash Equilibrium in Games with Continuous Domains," Borradores de Economia 229, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Andrés Carvajal, 2004. "Testable Restrictions of Nash Equilibrium in Games with Continuous Domains," Royal Holloway, University of London: Discussion Papers in Economics 04/26, Department of Economics, Royal Holloway University of London, revised Nov 2004.
- Sprumont, Yves, 2000. "On the Testable Implications of Collective Choice Theories," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 205-232, August.
- Robert R. Routledge, 2009. "Testable implications of the Bertrand model," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0918, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Indrajit Ray & Lin Zhou, .
"Game Theory Via Revealed Preferences,"
00/15, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Kubler, Felix, 2003. "Observable restrictions of general equilibrium models with financial markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 137-153, May.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- Andrés Carvajal, 2010. "The testable implications of competitive equilibrium in economies with externalities," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 349-378, October.
- Carvajal, Andres & Ray, Indrajit & Snyder, Susan, 2004. "Equilibrium behavior in markets and games: testable restrictions and identification," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 1-40, February.
- Laurens Cherchye & Thomas Demuynck & Bram De Rock, 2011.
"Testable implications of general equilibrium models: An integer programming approach,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/131708, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Demuynck, Thomas & De Rock, Bram, 2011. "Testable implications of general equilibrium models: An integer programming approach," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(4-5), pages 564-575.
- Laurens CHERCHYE & Thomas DEMUYNCK & Bram DE ROCK, 2009. "Testable implications of general equilibrium models: an integer programming approach," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces09.14, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maxine Collett).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.