Does Macro-Pru Leak? Evidence from a UK Policy Experiment
AbstractThe regulation of bank capital as a means of smoothing the credit cycle is a central element of forthcoming macro-prudential regimes internationally. For such regulation to be effective in controlling the aggregate supply of credit it must be the case that: (i) changes in capital requirements affect loan supply by regulated banks, and (ii) unregulated substitute sources of credit are unable to offset changes in credit supply by affected banks. This paper examines micro evidence—lacking to date—on both questions, using a unique dataset. In the UK, regulators have imposed time-varying, bank-specific minimum capital requirements since Basel I. It is found that regulated banks (UK-owned banks and resident foreign subsidiaries) reduce lending in response to tighter capital requirements. But unregulated banks (resident foreign branches) increase lending in response to tighter capital requirements on a relevant reference group of regulated banks. This “leakage” is substantial, amounting to about one-third of the initial impulse from the regulatory change.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 17822.
Date of creation: Feb 2012
Date of revision:
Note: CF EFG ME
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Aiyar, Shekhar & Calomiris , Charles W & Wieladek, Tomasz, 2012. "Does macropru leak? Evidence from a UK policy experiment," Bank of England working papers 445, Bank of England.
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E51 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Money Supply; Credit; Money Multipliers
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2012-02-20 (Banking)
- NEP-IFN-2012-02-20 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2012-02-20 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-REG-2012-02-20 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alessandro Rebucci, 2003. "On the Heterogeneity Bias of Pooled Estimators in Stationary VAR Specifications," IMF Working Papers 03/73, International Monetary Fund.
- James H. Stock & Motohiro Yogo, 2002. "Testing for Weak Instruments in Linear IV Regression," NBER Technical Working Papers 0284, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles W. Calomiris & Joseph R. Mason, 2003.
"Credit card securitization and regulatory arbitrage,"
03-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Charles Calomiris & Joseph Mason, 2004. "Credit Card Securitization and Regulatory Arbitrage," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 5-27, August.
- Ethan Ilzetzki & Enrique G. Mendoza & Carlos A. Végh, 2010.
"How Big (Small?) are Fiscal Multipliers?,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp1016, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Ethan Ilzetzki & Enrique G. Mendoza & Carlos A. Végh, 2010. "How Big (Small?) are Fiscal Multipliers?," NBER Working Papers 16479, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ethan Ilzetzki & Enrique G. Mendoza & Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont, 2011. "How Big (Small?) are Fiscal Multipliers?," IMF Working Papers 11/52, International Monetary Fund.
- Frederick T. Furlong, 1992. "Capital regulation and bank lending," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 23-33.
- Repullo, R. & Suarez, J., 2010.
"The Procyclical Effects of Bank Capital Regulation,"
2010-29S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Rafael Repullo & Javier Suarez, 2013. "The Procyclical Effects of Bank Capital Regulation," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 26(2), pages 452-490.
- Rafael Repullo & Javier Suarez, 2012. "The Procyclical Effects Of Bank Capital Regulation," Working Papers wp2012_1202, CEMFI.
- Repullo, Rafael & Suarez, Javier, 2012. "The Procyclical Effects of Bank Capital Regulation," CEPR Discussion Papers 8897, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo & Mistrulli, Paolo Emilio, 2004. "Does bank capital affect lending behavior?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 436-457, October.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Steven Ongena & José-Luis Peydró & Jesús Saurina, 2012.
"Macroprudential Policy, Countercyclical Bank Capital Buffers and Credit Supply: Evidence from the Spanish Dynamic Provisioning Experiments,"
628, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Steven Ongena & José-Luis Peydró & Jesús Saurina, 2012. "Macroprudential policy, countercyclical bank capital buffers and credit supply: Evidence from the Spanish dynamic provisioning experiments," Economics Working Papers 1315, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Feb 2013.
- Jiménez, G. & Ongena, S. & Peydro, J.L. & Saurina, J., 2012. "Macroprudential Policy, Countercyclical Bank Capital Buffers and Credit Supply: Evidence from the Spanish Dynamic Provisioning Experiments," Discussion Paper 2012-036, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Steven Ongena & José-Luis Peydró & Jesús Saurina, 2012. "Macroprudential policy, countercyclical bank capital buffers and credit supply: Evidence from the Spanish dynamic provisioning experiments," Working Paper Research 231, National Bank of Belgium.
- Sa, Filipa & Towbin, Pascal & wieladek, tomasz, 2011.
"Low interest rates and housing booms: the role of capital inflows, monetary policy and financial innovation,"
Bank of England working papers
411, Bank of England.
- Filipa Sá & Pascal Towbin & Tomasz Wieladek, 2011. "Low interest rates and housing booms: the role of capital inflows, monetary policy and financial innovation," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 79, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, .
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model,"
W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Viral V. Acharya & Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello, 2005.
"Is Cash Negative Debt? A Hedging Perspective on Corporate Financial Policies,"
NBER Working Papers
11391, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acharya, Viral V. & Almeida, Heitor & Campello, Murillo, 2007. "Is cash negative debt? A hedging perspective on corporate financial policies," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 515-554, October.
- Acharya, Viral V & Almeida, Heitor & Campello, Murillo, 2005. "Is Cash Negative Debt? A Hedging Perspective on Corporate Financial Policies," CEPR Discussion Papers 4886, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Miles, David & Yang, Jing & Marcheggiano, Gilberto, 2011.
"Optimal Bank Capital,"
31, Monetary Policy Committee Unit, Bank of England.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1992.
"Estimating Long-Run Relationships From Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9215, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1995. "Estimating long-run relationships from dynamic heterogeneous panels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 79-113, July.
- Fabio C. Bagliano & Carlo A. Favero, .
"Measuring Monetary Policy with VAR Models: an Evaluation,"
132, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Bagliano, Fabio C. & Favero, Carlo A., 1998. "Measuring monetary policy with VAR models: An evaluation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(6), pages 1069-1112, June.
- Bagliano, Fabio-Cesare & Favero, Carlo A, 1997. "Measuring Monetary Policy with VAR Models: An Evaluation," CEPR Discussion Papers 1743, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin CihÃ¡k & Klaus Schaeck, 2007. "Banking Competition and Capital Ratios," IMF Working Papers 07/216, International Monetary Fund.
- William Francis & Matthew Osborne, 2009. "Bank regulation, capital and credit supply: Measuring the Impact of Prudential Standards," Occasional Papers 36, Financial Services Authority.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Assenmacher-Wesche, Katrin, 2008.
"Financial structure and the impact of monetary policy on asset prices,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2008/30, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Katrin Assenmacher-Wesche & Stefan Gerlach, 2008. "Financial Structure and the Impact of Monetary Policy on Asset Prices," Working Papers 2008-16, Swiss National Bank.
- Aiyar, Shekhar, 2011. "How did the crisis in international funding markets affect bank lending? Balance sheet evidence from the United Kingdom," Bank of England working papers 424, Bank of England.
- Joseph G. Haubrich & Paul Wachtel, 1993. "Capital requirements and shifts in commercial bank portfolios," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q III, pages 2-15.
- Pascal Towbin, Sebastian Weber, 2010. "Limits of Floats: The Role of Foreign Currency Debt and Import Structure," IHEID Working Papers 01-2010, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies, revised Jan 2010.
- Stock, James H & Wright, Jonathan H & Yogo, Motohiro, 2002. "A Survey of Weak Instruments and Weak Identification in Generalized Method of Moments," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(4), pages 518-29, October.
- Bridges, Jonathan & Gregory, David & Nielsen, Mette & Pezzini, Silvia & Radia, Amar & Spaltro, Marco, 2014. "The impact of capital requirements on bank lending," Bank of England working papers 486, Bank of England.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2012. "Operationalising the selection and application of macroprudential instruments," CGFS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 48, January.
- Claessens, Stijn & Ghosh, Swati R. & Mihet, Roxana, 2013. "Macro-prudential policies to mitigate financial system vulnerabilities," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 153-185.
- Douglas Sutherland & Peter Hoeller, 2012. "Debt and Macroeconomic Stability: An Overview of the Literature and Some Empirics," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 1006, OECD Publishing.
- R. Glenn Hubbard, 2013. "Financial regulatory reform: a progress report," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 181-198.
- Claudia M. Buch & Esteban Prieto, 2012.
"Do Better Capitalized Banks Lend Less? Long-Run Panel Evidence from Germany,"
IAW Discussion Papers
84, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- Claudia M. Buch & Esteban Prieto, 2012. "Do Better Capitalized Banks Lend Less? Long-Run Panel Evidence from Germany," CESifo Working Paper Series 3836, CESifo Group Munich.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Prieto, Esteban, 2012. "Do better capitalized banks lend less? Long-run panel evidence from Germany," University of Tuebingen Working Papers in Economics and Finance 37, University of Tuebingen, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences.
- Olivier Jeanne, 2014.
"Macroprudential Policies in a Global Perspective,"
IMES Discussion Paper Series
14-E-01, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Shekhar Aiyar, 2012. "From Financial Crisis to Great Recession: The Role of Globalized Banks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(3), pages 225-30, May.
- Alfredo Martín-Oliver & Sonia Ruano & Vicente Salas-Fumás, 2012. "Effects of equity capital on the interest rate and the demand for credit. Empirical evidence from Spanish banks," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1218, Banco de Espa�a.
- Ono, Arito & Uchida, Hirofumi & Udell, Gregory & Uesugi, Iichiro, 2013. "A Close Look at Loan-To-Value Ratios: Evidence from the Japanese Real Estate Market," Working Paper Series 19, Center for Interfirm Network, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Markus Behn & Rainer Haselmann & Paul Wachtel, 2013. "Pro-Cyclical Capital Regulation and Lending," Working Papers 13-11, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Seung Jung Lee & Viktors Stebunovs, 2012. "Bank capital ratios and the structure of nonfinancial industries," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2012-53, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Antoniades, Adonis, 2013. "Liquidity Risk and the Credit Crunch of 2007-2009: Evidence from Micro-Level Data on Mortgage Loan Applications," MPRA Paper 49270, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alfredo Martin-Oliver & Sonia Ruano & Vicente Salas-Fumas, 2013. "Banks' Equity Capital Frictions, Capital Ratios, and Interest Rates: Evidence from Spanish Banks," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 9(1), pages 183-225, March.
- Nicolas Arregui & Jaromir Benes & Ivo Krznar & Srobona Mitra & Andre Santos, 2013. "Evaluating the Net Benefits of Macroprudential Policy: A Cookbook," IMF Working Papers 13/167, International Monetary Fund.
- Paolo Angelini & Sergio Nicoletti-Altimari & Ignazio Visco, 2012. "Macroprudential, microprudential and monetary policies: conflicts, complementarities and trade-offs," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 140, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.