Prospective Changes in Tax Law and the Value of Depreciable Real Estate
AbstractThe Economic Recovery Tax Act of 1981 significantly reduced the taxation of income-producing properties by accelerating tax depreciation on both new and, especially, existing properties. A partial reversal of the 1981 legislation appears likely. To provide some insight into the possible effects of a decrease in tax depreciation of income-producing properties, two potential tax changes are analyzed: an increase from 15 to 20 years in the tax service lives of both new and existing properties and an increase for existing properties only. Both residential and commercial/industrial properties are considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 1352.
Date of creation: Feb 1985
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Patric H. Hendershott & David C. Ling, 1984. "Prospective Changes in Tax Law and the Value of Depreciable Real Estate," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 12(3), pages 297-317.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Patric H. Hendershott & David C. Ling, 1984. "Prospective Changes in Tax Law and the Value of Depreciable Real Estate," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 12(3), pages 297-317.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smith, Barton A, 1976. "The Supply of Urban Housing," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 90(3), pages 389-405, August.
- James M. Poterba, 1985. "Inflation, Income Taxes, and Owner-Occupied Housing," NBER Working Papers 0553, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patric H. Hendershott & David C. Ling, 1984. "Trading and the Tax Shelter Value of Depreciable Real Estate," NBER Working Papers 1267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hanushek, Eric A & Quigley, John M, 1980. "What Is the Price Elasticity of Housing Demand?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(3), pages 449-54, August.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1983. "Corporate Taxation in the United States," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 14(2), pages 451-514.
- Patric H. Hendershott & David C. Ling, 1985. "The Administration Tax Reform Proposal and Housing," NBER Working Papers 1740, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy W. Viezer, 1999. "Econometric Integration of Real Estate's Space and Capital Markets," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 18(3), pages 503-519.
- Colwell, Peter F., 2002. "Tweaking the DiPasquale-Wheaton Model," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 24-39, March.
- Fabrice Barthelemy & Jean-Luc Prigent, 2011. "Real Estate Portfolio Management : Optimization under Risk Aversion," THEMA Working Papers 2011-12, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Patric H. Hendershott, .
"Uses of Equilibrium Models in Real Estate Research,"
Research in Financial Economics
9612, Ohio State University.
- Patric H. Hendershott, 1997. "Uses of equilibrium models in real estate research," Journal of Property Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 1-13, January.
- Fabrice Barthélémy & Jean-Luc Prigent, 2009. "Optimal Time to Sell in Real Estate Portfolio Management," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 59-87, January.
- Baroni, Michel & Barthélémy, Fabrice & Mokrane, Mahdi, 2007. "Optimal Holding Period for a Real Estate Portfolio," ESSEC Working Papers DR 07008, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Wood, Gavin A., 2001. "Are There Tax Arbitrage Opportunities in Private Rental Housing Markets?," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 1-20, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.