Optimal Holding Period for a Real Estate Portfolio
AbstractThis paper considers the use of simulated cash flows to determine the optimal holding period of a real estate portfolio to maximize its present value. The traditional DCF approach with an estimation of the resale value through a growth rate of the future cash flow does not let appear this optimum. However, if the terminal value is calculated from the trend of a diffusion process of the price, an optimum may appear under certain conditions. Finally we consider the sensitivity of the present value to the different parameters involved in the cash flow estimations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School in its series ESSEC Working Papers with number DR 07008.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2007
Date of revision:
Cash Flows Simulations; Holding Period; Real Estate Portfolio Management;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atkins, Allen B & Dyl, Edward A, 1997. " Transactions Costs and Holding Periods for Common Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 309-25, March.
- Baroni, Michel & Barthélémy, Fabrice & Mokrane, Mahdi, 2004.
"Physical Real Estate: A Paris Repeat Sales Residential Index,"
ESSEC Working Papers
DR 04007, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- M. Baroni & F. Barthélémy & M. Mokrane, 2004. "Physical Real Estate: A Paris Repeat Sales Residential Index," THEMA Working Papers 2004-17, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Patric H. Hendershott & David C. Ling, 1984.
"Prospective Changes in Tax Law and the Value of Depreciable Real Estate,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 12(3), pages 297-317.
- Patric H. Hendershott & David C. Ling, 1985. "Prospective Changes in Tax Law and the Value of Depreciable Real Estate," NBER Working Papers 1352, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gau, George W & Wang, Ko, 1994. "The Tax-Induced Holding Periods of Real Estate Investors: Theory and Empirical Evidence," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 71-85, January.
- Tinic, Seha M, 1972. "The Economics of Liquidity Services," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 79-93, February.
- Martin Hoesli & Elion Jani & André Bender, 2005. "Monte Carlo Simulations for Real Estate Valuation," FAME Research Paper Series rp148, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1986. "Asset pricing and the bid-ask spread," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 223-249, December.
- Fabrice Barthelemy & Jean-Luc Prigent, 2011. "Real Estate Portfolio Management : Optimization under Risk Aversion," THEMA Working Papers 2011-12, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Paul M Anglin & Yanmin Gao, 2011. "Integrating Illiquid Assets into the Portfolio Decision Process," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 39(2), pages 277-311, 06.
- Fabrice Barthélémy & Jean-Luc Prigent, 2009. "Optimal Time to Sell in Real Estate Portfolio Management," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 59-87, January.
- Fabrice Barthélémy & Jean-Luc Prigent, 2008. "Optimal Time to Sell in Real Estate Portfolio Management," THEMA Working Papers 2008-13, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sophie Magnanou).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.