Capital Controls, The Dual Exchange Rate, and Devaluation
AbstractThis paper re-examines the effect of devaluation under capital-account restrictions, adding to traditional formulations the seemingly minor (but realistic) assumption that central-bank reserves earn interest. The extra assumption has important implications. In an intertemporal model, devaluation is no longer neutral in the long run as it is in the literature on the monetary approach to the balance of payments. Further, the economy may possess multiple stationary states, some of them unstable.The analysis confirms, however, that even large devaluations must improve the balance of payments if the economy is initially at a stable stationary position. A by-product of the analysis is a pricing formula for the financial exchange rate in a dual exchange rate system. That formula is consistent with recent consumption-based models of asset pricing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 1324.
Date of creation: Aug 1986
Date of revision:
Note: ITI IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1986. "Capital controls, the dual exchange rate, and devaluation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 1-20, February.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ricardo Hausmann, 1995. "Dealing with Negative Oil Shocks: The Venezuelan Experience in the Eighties," Research Department Publications 4010, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Reinhart, Carmen M. & Vegh, Carlos A., 1995.
"Targeting the real exchange rate: theory and evidence,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 97-133, June.
- Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont & Guillermo Calvo & Carmen Reinhart, 1994. "Targeting the Real Exchange Rate: Theory and Evidence," IMF Working Papers 94/22, International Monetary Fund.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1994. "Targeting the real exchange rate: Theory and evidence," MPRA Paper 13412, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carlos A. Vegh, 1999.
"Inflation Stabilization and BOP Crises in Developing Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
6925, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Vegh, Carlos A., 1999. "Inflation stabilization and bop crises in developing countries," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 24, pages 1531-1614 Elsevier.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Khan, Mohsin S., 1996.
"Foreign currency deposits and the demand for money in developing countries,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 101-118, June.
- Mohsin S. Khan & Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor, 1992. "Foreign Currency Deposits and the Demand for Money in Developing Countries," IMF Working Papers 92/1, International Monetary Fund.
- Stockman, Alan C & Hernandez D, Alejandro, 1988.
"Exchange Controls, Capital Controls, and International Financial Markets,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 362-74, June.
- Alan C. Stockman & Alejandro Hernandez D., 1989. "Exchange Controls, Capital Controls, and International Financial Markets," NBER Working Papers 1755, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Giovannini & Jan Won Park, 1989. "Capital Controls and International Trade Finance," NBER Working Papers 3112, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frenkel, Jacob A. & Razin, Assaf, 1989.
"Exchange-rate management viewed as tax policies,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 761-781, April.
- Joshua Aizenman, 1989. "Country Risk, Asymmetric Information and Domestic Policies," NBER Working Papers 1880, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leonardo Auernheimer & Susan Mary George, 1997.
"Shock Versus Gradualism in Models of Rational Expectations: The Case of Trade Liberalization,"
IMF Working Papers
97/122, International Monetary Fund.
- Auernheimer, Leonardo & George, Susan Mary, 1997. "Shock versus gradualism in models of rational expectations: the case of trade liberalization," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 307-322, December.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Assaf Razin, 1986. "The Limited Viability of Dual Exchange-Rate Regimes," NBER Working Papers 1902, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eran Yashiv, 1997. "Capital Controls as Taxation Policy," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 263-276, July.
- Velasco, Andres, 1995. "Increasing returns and cyclical international capital movements," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 48(3-4), pages 345-351, June.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & O'Connell, Stephen A., 1999. "The macroeconomics of delayed exchange-rate unification : theory and evidence from Tanzania," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2060, The World Bank.
- Ricardo Hausmann, 1995. "Manejo de sacudidas petroleras negativas: la experiencia venezolana en los años 80," Research Department Publications 4011, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Robert Flood & Nancy Marion, 1989. "Risk Neutrality and the Two-Tier Foreign Exchange Market: Evidence from Belgium," NBER Working Papers 3015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Impavido, Gregorio & Musalem, Alberto R. & Vittas, Dimitri, 2002. "Contractual savings in countries with a small financial sector," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2841, The World Bank.
- Chetan Subramanian & Jungsoo Park, 2004. "Exchange Rate Based Stabilization with Sudden Restrictions on Capital Flows," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 748, Econometric Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.