Capital Mobility and Devaluation in an Optimizing Model with Rational Expectations
AbstractThis paper examines the effects of ex-change-rate policies when individuals maximize lifetime utility on the basis of rational expectations about the future. The economy studied is one in which the authorities allow free mobility of capital under a crawling-peg exchange-rate regime. Many industrializing economies have adopted a crawling peg as a means of reconciling disparate inflation rates at home and abroad, and some recent efforts to use the rate of crawl as an instrument of anti-inflation policy have attracted considerable interest (see Carlos Diaz Alejandro). Tools similar to those employed here have been applied by Guillermo Calvo (forthcoming) to study this type of exchange-rate management under conditions of capital immobility.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 0557.
Date of creation: Oct 1980
Date of revision:
Note: ITI IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1981. "Capital Mobility and Devaluation in an Optimizing Model with Rational Expectations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 217-21, May.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dornbusch, Rudi, 1996. "The Effectiveness of Exchange-Rate Changes," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(3), pages 26-38, Autumn.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1975. "Portfolio Equilibrium and the Balance of Payments: A Monetary Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(4), pages 674-88, September.
- MacKinnon, James G & Haug, Alfred A & Michelis, Leo, 1999.
"Numerical Distribution Functions of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegration,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 563-77, Sept.-Oct.
- Mackinnon, J.G. & Haug, A.A. & Michelis, L., 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegration," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 96a09, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- James G. MacKinnon & Alfred A. Haug & Leo Michelis, 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegration," Working Papers 1996_07, York University, Department of Economics.
- Arman Mansoorian, 1999. "On Cash in Advance Constraints for Open Economies," Working Papers 1999_02, York University, Department of Economics.
- Ghironi, Fabio, 2008. "The role of net foreign assets in a New Keynesian small open economy model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1780-1811, June.
- Sushanta K. Mallick & Mohammed Mohsin, 2007. "Monetary policy in high inflation open economies: evidence from Israel and Turkey," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(4), pages 405-415.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1988. "Exchange-Rate Dynamics and Optimal Asset Accumulation Revisited," NBER Technical Working Papers 0064, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dudley, L., 1980. "Macroeconomic Interdependence and the Terms of Trade," Cahiers de recherche 8014, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Mansoorian, Arman & Mohsin, Mohammed, 2006. "On the employment, investment and current account effects of inflation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 296-313, September.
- Arman Mansoorian & Simon Neaime, 1996. "Habits and Durability in Consumption, and the Effects of Exchange Rate Policies," Working Papers 1996_06, York University, Department of Economics.
- Mansoorian Arman & Neaime Simon, 2002. "Habits And Durability In Consumption And The Effects Of Exchange Rate Policies," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 97-114.
- Johanna Francis & Tom Kompas, 2001.
"Uzawa's Transformation and Optimal Control Problems with Variable Rates of Time Preference,"
International and Development Economics Working Papers
idec01-12, International and Development Economics.
- Francis, J. & Kompas, T., 1998. "Uzawa's Transformation and Optimal Control Problems With Variable Rates of Time Preference," Papers 354, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- AKITOBY, Bernardin, 1997. "Termes de l'échange endogènes et cycles économiques réels : une application à la Côte-d'Ivoire," Cahiers de recherche 9701, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Mohsin, Mohammed, 2004. "Exchange rate policies and endogenous time preference: a dynamic analysis of a small open economy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 195-203, February.
- Aoki, Yoshimasa & Tomoda, Yasunobu, 2009. "Optimal money supply in models with endogenous discount factor," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 798-810, August.
- Mansoorian, Arman & Michelis, Leo, 2010. "Monetary policy in a small open economy with durable goods and differing cash-in-advance constraints," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 246-248, May.
- Fabio Ghironi, 2000.
"Macroeconomic Interdependence under Incomplete Markets,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
471, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 07 Feb 2003.
- Ghironi, Fabio, 2006. "Macroeconomic interdependence under incomplete markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 428-450, December.
- Arman Mansoorian & Mohammed Mohsin, 2002. "The Employment, Investment and Current Account Effects of Exchange Rate Policies in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," Working Papers 2002_04, York University, Department of Economics.
- Mansoorian, Arman & Neaime, Simon, 2003. "Durable goods, habits, time preference, and exchange rates," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 115-130, March.
- Tom Kompas & Omar Abdel-Razeq, 2001. "A Simple Monetary Growth Model with Variable Rates of Time Preference," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec01-10, International and Development Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.