Monetary policy under dual exchange rates
AbstractThis paper finds that the introduction of dual exchange rates gives the monetary authority greater independence from external constraints than it would otherwise enjoy. The monetary authority is able to influence the level of aggregate demand in the short run and to sterilize the effects of temporary foreign distrubances. In addition, the paper finds that dual rates insulate the domestic economy fully from foreign interest rate changes but do not provide insulation from speculative disturbances.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Money and Finance.
Volume (Year): 3 (1984)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30443
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cumby, Robert E., 1983. "Trade credit, exchange controls, and monetary independence : Evidence from the United Kingdom," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1-2), pages 53-67, February.
- Ching-chong Lai, 1990. "Exchange Rate Determination under Flexible and Two-Tier Exchange Rate Regimes," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 16(2), pages 115-123, Apr-Jun.
- Alan C. Stockman & Alejandro Hernandez D., 1989.
"Exchange Controls, Capital Controls, and International Financial Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
1755, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stockman, Alan C & Hernandez D, Alejandro, 1988. "Exchange Controls, Capital Controls, and International Financial Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 362-74, June.
- Wen-ya Chang & Ching-chong Lai, 1998. "The dynamic unsubstitutability of sterilization operations and neutral-intervention operations under dual exchange rates," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 68(3), pages 235-253, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.