A Note on Stochastic Rationing Mechanisms
AbstractThere are a couple of well-known unsatisfactory properties in the notion of effective demand defined by Benassy and one by Dreze. This is why recent authors in disequilibrium analysis study the stochastic rationing mechanism. Douglas Gale proved the existence of the equilibrium with stochastic rationing mechanism. However, Gale 's rationing mechanism requires an economic agent to know all the individual effective demands from the other agents. This creates the informational problem. Green examined a rationing scheme which depends only on the individual effective demand and the aggregate signals. However, he did not consider conditions on rationing mechanisms to show the existence of temporary equilibrium. The purpose of this paper is to show a couple of sufficient conditions for the existence of temporary equilibrium preserving all properties Green considered on rationing mechanisms. We also discuss the possibility of balancing demand and supply in realization instead of in the mean.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 0313.
Date of creation: Jan 1979
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Ito, Takatoshi. "An Example of a Non-Walrasian Equilibrium with Stochastic Rationing at the Walrasian Equilibrium Prices." Economic Letters, Vol. 2,(1979), pp. 13-19.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1980. "Effective Demand and Stochastic Rationing," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(2), pages 339-55, January.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1977.
"Temporary General Equilibrium Theory,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society,
Econometric Society, vol. 45(3), pages 535-72, April.
- Seppo Honkapohja & Takatoshi Ito, 1979. "Non-Trivial Equilibrium in an Economy With Stochastic Rationing," NBER Working Papers 0322, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Varian, Hal R, 1977. "Non-Walrasian Equilibria," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 45(3), pages 573-90, April.
- DREZE, Jacques H., .
"Existence of an exchange equilibrium under price rigidites,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-225, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Dreze, Jacques H, 1975. "Existence of an Exchange Equilibrium under Price Rigidities," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 16(2), pages 301-20, June.
- Futia, Carl A., 1977. "Excess supply equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 200-220, February.
- Hahn, Frank, 1978. "On Non-Walrasian Equilibria," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 1-17, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.