Continua of underemployment equilibria reflecting coordination failures, also at Walrasian prices
AbstractIn this paper the existence of unemployment is partly explained as being the result of coordination failures. It is shown that as a result of self-fulfilling pessimistic expectations, even at Walrasian prices, a continuum of equilibria results, among which an equilibrium with approximately no trade and a Walrasian equilibrium. These coordination failures also arise at other price systems, but then unemployment is the result of both a wrong price system and coordination failures. Some properties of the set of equilibria are analyzed. Generically, there exists a continuum of non-indifferent equilibrium allocations. Under a condition implied by gross substitutability, there exists a continuum of equilibrium allocations in the neighborhood of a competitive allocation, when prices are Walrasian. For a specialized economy, a dynamic illustration is offered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HEC Paris in its series Les Cahiers de Recherche with number 732.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 01 May 2001
Date of revision:
general equilibrium; underemployment; coordination failures; indeterminacy;
Other versions of this item:
- Citanna, Alessandro & Cres, Herve & Dreze, Jacques & Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Villanacci, Antonio, 2001. "Continua of underemployment equilibria reflecting coordination failures, also at Walrasian prices," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 169-200, December.
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-11-28 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ner:maastr:urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-5945 is not listed on IDEAS
- Movshovich, Solomon M., 1994. "A price adjustment process in a rationed economy," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 305-321, July.
- Herings, P Jean-Jacques, 1996.
"Equilibrium Existence Results for Economies with Price Rigidities,"
Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 63-80, January.
- P. Jean-Jacques Herings, 1995. "Equilibrium existence results for economies with price rigidities," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 63-80.
- Kurz, Mordecai, 1982. "Unemployment equilibrium in an economy with linked prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 100-123, February.
- Dreze, Jacques H, 1975. "Existence of an Exchange Equilibrium under Price Rigidities," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 16(2), pages 301-20, June.
- Laan, Gerard van der, 1982.
"Simplicial approximation of unemployment equilibria,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 9(1-2), pages 83-97, January.
- van der LAAN, Gerard, . "Simplicial approximation of unemployment equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers RP -467, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- van der Laan, Gerard, 1980. "Equilibrium under Rigid Prices with Compensation for the consumers," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 63-73, February.
- Laroque, Guy, 1978. "The Fixed Price Equilibria: Some Results in Local Comparative Statics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(5), pages 1127-54, September.
- Herings, P.J.J. & Dreze, J., 1998.
"Continua of Underemployment Equilibria,"
1998-05, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Herings, P. Jean-Jacques, 1998. "On the existence of a continuum of constrained equilibria1," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 257-273, October.
- repec:ner:louvai:info:hdl:2078.1/88419 is not listed on IDEAS
- Drazen, Allan, 1980. "Recent Developments in Macroeconomic Disequilibrium Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(2), pages 283-306, March.
- Jacques H.DREZE, 2001.
"On the Macroeconomics of Uncertainty and Incomplete Markets,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
2001011, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- DREZE, Jacques, 1999. "On the macroeconomics of uncertainty and incomplete markets," CORE Discussion Papers 1999064, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Herings, P.J.J., 1992. "On the structure of constrained equilibria," Research Memorandum 587, Tilburg University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- repec:ner:maastr:urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-5938 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cooper, Russell & John, Andrew, 1988. "Coordinating Coordination Failures in Keynesian Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(3), pages 441-63, August.
- Roberts, John, 1987. "An Equilibrium Model with Involuntary Unemployment at Flexible, Competitive Prices and Wages," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 856-74, December.
- Polterovich, V. M. & Spivak, V. A., 1983. "Gross substitutability of point-to-set correspondences," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 117-140, April.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Dupouy).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.