Robust Covariance Matrix Estimation with Data-Dependent VAR Prewhitening Order
AbstractThis paper analyzes the performance of heteroskedasticity-and-autocorrelation-consistent (HAC) covariance matrix estimators in which the residuals are prewhitened using a vector autoregressive (VAR) filter. We highlight the pitfalls of using an arbitrarily fixed lag order for the VAR filter, and we demonstrate the benefits of using a model selection criterion (either AIC or BIC) to determine its lag structure. Furthermore, once data-dependent VAR prewhitening has been utilized, we find negligible or even counter-productive effects of applying standard kernel-based methods to the prewhitened residuals; that is, the performance of the prewhitened kernel estimator is virtually indistinguishable from that of the VARHAC estimator.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Technical Working Papers with number 0255.
Date of creation: Jun 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- den Haan, Wouter J. & Levin, Andrew T, 2000. "Robust Covariance Matrix Estimation with Data-Dependent VAR Prewhitening Order," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt0127m2tp, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2000-07-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2000-07-03 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2000-07-03 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kiefer, Nicholas M. & Bunzel, Helle & Vogelsang, Timothy & Vogelsang, Timothy & Bunzel, Helle, 2000.
"Simple Robust Testing of Regression Hypotheses,"
Staff General Research Papers
1832, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kenneth D. West, 1995.
"Another Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0183, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- West, Kenneth D., 1997. "Another heteroskedasticity- and autocorrelation-consistent covariance matrix estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 171-191.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991.
"A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993. "A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- Wouter J. Den Haan & Andrew Levin, 1996.
"Inferences from Parametric and Non-Parametric Covariance Matrix Estimation Procedures,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0195, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wouter J. den Haan & Andrew T. Levin, 1995. "Inferences from parametric and non-parametric covariance matrix estimation procedures," International Finance Discussion Papers 504, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1994.
"Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(4), pages 631-53, October.
- Kenneth D. West & Whitney K. Newey, 1995. "Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation," NBER Technical Working Papers 0144, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Martin S. Eichenbaum & Lars Peter Hansen & Kenneth J. Singleton, 1986.
"A Time Series Analysis of Representative Agent Models of Consumption andLeisure Choice Under Uncertainty,"
NBER Working Papers
1981, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichenbaum, Martin S & Hansen, Lars Peter & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1988. "A Time Series Analysis of Representative Agent Models of Consumption and Leisure Choice under Uncertainty," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(1), pages 51-78, February.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Monahan, J Christopher, 1992.
"An Improved Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator,"
Econometric Society, vol. 60(4), pages 953-66, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Christopher J. Monahan, 1990. "An Improved Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 942, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Richard Heaney & Kerry Pattenden, 2005. "Change in unconditional foreign exchange rate volatility: an analysis of the GBP and USD price of the Euro from 2002 to 2003," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(15), pages 929-932.
- Frédéric Karamé & Lise Patureau & Thepthida Sopraseuth, 2003.
"Limited participation and exchange rate dynamics : does theory meet the data ?,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
v04013, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Karamé, Frédéric & Patureau, Lise & Sopraseuth, Thepthida, 2008. "Limited participation and exchange rate dynamics: Does theory meet the data?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 1041-1087, April.
- Matheron, Julien & Maury, Tristan-Pierre, 2004. "Supply-side refinements and the New Keynesian Phillips Curve," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 391-396, March.
- Ozgen Sayginsoy, 2005. "Powerful and Serial Correlation Robust Tests of the Economic Convergence Hypothesis," Econometrics 0503014, EconWPA, revised 11 Mar 2005.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2005:i:10:p:1-13 is not listed on IDEAS
- A. Craig Burnside, 2007.
"Empirical Asset Pricing and Statistical Power in the Presence of Weak Risk Factors,"
NBER Working Papers
13357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- A. Craig Burnside, 2010. "Empirical Asset Pricing and Statistical Power in the Presence of Weak Risk Factors," Working Papers 10-45, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Ionel Birgean & Lutz Kilian, 2002.
"Data-Driven Nonparametric Spectral Density Estimators For Economic Time Series: A Monte Carlo Study,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 449-476.
- Kilian, L. & Bergean, I., 1999. "Data-Driven Nonparametric Spectral Density Estimators for Economic Time Series: A Monte Carlo Study," Papers 99-04, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Min-Hsien Chiang & Chihwa Kao, 2005. "Spectral Density Bandwidth Choice and Prewhitening in the Generalized Method of Moments Estimators for the Asset Pricing Model," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(10), pages 1-13.
- Motohiro Yogo, 2006. "A Consumption-Based Explanation of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(2), pages 539-580, 04.
- Dr Martin Weale & Dr. James Mitchell, 2002. "Aggregate versus Disaggregate Survey-Based Indicators of Economic Activity (revised January 2005)," NIESR Discussion Papers 148, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.