Cross-Border M&As in the Financial Sector. Is Banking Different from Insurance?
AbstractThis paper investigates what factors might help explain the internationalization strategy of banks and insurance companies, by comparing the determinants of cross-border M&As in the two sectors in a unified framework. The empirical analysis shows that between 1990 and 2003 the internationalization of banks and insurance companies followed similar patterns. Distance and economic and cultural integration are important determinants for both the banks’ and the insurance companies’ expansion abroad. Comparative advantage also has a prominent role, the more so for banks. The evidence is less supportive of the view that cross-border M&As are more frequent between similar countries, as predicted by the new trade theory. Finally, and most interestingly, we find indirect evidence consistent with the hypothesis that implicit barriers to foreign entry are more important in explaining the behavior of banks than that of insurance companies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Molise, Dept. SEGeS in its series Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers with number esdp07032.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 10 Apr 2007
Date of revision:
international banking and insurance; foreign direct investment;
Other versions of this item:
- Focarelli, Dario & Pozzolo, Alberto Franco, 2008. "Cross-border M&As in the financial sector: Is banking different from insurance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 15-29, January.
- E30 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies; Actuarial Studies
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2007-05-12 (Banking)
- NEP-COM-2007-05-12 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IAS-2007-05-12 (Insurance Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mohamed Azzim Gulamhussen & Carlos Pinheiro & Alberto Franco Pozzolo, 2010.
"Do multinational banks create or destroy economic value?,"
Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers
36, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Gulamhussen, M. A. & Piheiro, Carlos & Pozzolo, Alberto Franco, 2011. "Do multinational banks create or destroy economic value?," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp11057, University of Molise, Dept. SEGeS.
- Alberto Franco Pozzolo, 2008.
"Bank cross-border mergers and acquisitions (Causes, consequences and recent trends),"
Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers
9, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Pozzolo, Alberto Franco, 2008. "Bank Cross-Border Merger and Acquisitions (Causes, consequences and recent trends)," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp08048, University of Molise, Dept. SEGeS.
- Coeurdacier, Nicolas & De Santis, Roberto A. & Aviat, Antonin, 2009. "Cross-Border Mergers and acquisitions: Financial and institutional forces," Working Paper Series 1018, European Central Bank.
- Georgios Fotopoulos & Helen Louri, 2011. "On the geography of international banking: the role of third-country effects," Working Papers 125, Bank of Greece.
- de Haan, Leo & Kakes, Jan, 2010.
"Are non-risk based capital requirements for insurance companies binding?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1618-1627, July.
- Leo de Haan & Jan Kakes, 2007. "Are non-risk based capital requirements for insurance companies binding?," DNB Working Papers 145, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Tsai, Hsiangping & Chang, Yuanchen & Hsiao, Pei-Hsin, 2011. "What drives foreign expansion of the top 100 multinational banks? The role of the credit reporting system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 588-605, March.
- Tigran Poghosyan & Jakob de Haan, 2008. "Determinants of Cross-Border Bank Acquisitions in Transition Economies: A Latent Class Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 2372, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Lupi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.