Bank internationalization and trade: What comes first?
AbstractWe study the dynamic nexus that changes in foreign bank penetration have with changes in trade and FDI between some selected OECD countries and Central and Eastern Europe countries (CEECs). Following the literature, we contemplate the possibility that such a nexus might differ depending on whether foreign bank entry materializes through the opening of branches or by acquiring local subsidiaries. The question that we try to answer is whether bank internationalization led or followed the increase in trade and manufacturing FDI. Using data on the changes in the bilateral linkages between OECD origin countries and CEECs target countries between 1995 and 2002, we find only one strong link, going from the share of bilateral trade over total trade from the country of origin, which we define a "push factor", to the change in the presence of foreign branches. The link from trade to bank acquisition of foreign subsidiaries is instead much weaker. In addition, we find some evidence that the share of bilateral trade over total trade with the target country, which we define a "pull factor", affects bank internationalization through the acquisition of subsidiaries, but not through the opening of branches.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences in its series Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers with number 11.
Date of creation: Jan 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Piazzale Martelli, 8 6012 Ancona
Phone: +39 071 220 7083
Fax: +39 071 220 7102
Web page: http://sites.google.com/site/mofirunivpm/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-02-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2009-02-14 (European Economics)
- NEP-INT-2009-02-14 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc J & Yeaple, Stephen R, 2003.
"Export versus FDI,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3741, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc J. Melitz & Stephen R. Yeaple, 2003. "Export versus FDI," NBER Working Papers 9439, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc J. Melitz & Stephen R. Yeaple, 2003. "Export versus FDI," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1998, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Yamori, Nobuyoshi, 1998. "A note on the location choice of multinational banks: The case of Japanese financial institutions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 109-120, January.
- Buch, Claudia M. & DeLong, Gayle, 2004.
"Cross-border bank mergers: What lures the rare animal?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2077-2102, September.
- Claudia M. Buch & Gayle L. DeLong, 2001. "Cross-Border Bank Mergers: What Lures the Rare Animal?," Kiel Working Papers 1070, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Beck, Thorsten, 2001.
"Financial development and international trade : is there a link?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2608, The World Bank.
- Beck, Thorsten, 2002. "Financial development and international trade: Is there a link?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 107-131, June.
- Beck, T.H.L., 2002. "Financial development and international trade: Is there a Link?," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125515, Tilburg University.
- ter Wengel, Jan, 1995. "International trade in banking services," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 47-64, February.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1979. "Transaction-Cost Economics: The Governance of Contractural Relations," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(2), pages 233-61, October.
- Magri, Silvia & Mori, Alessandra & Rossi, Paola, 2005. "The entry and the activity level of foreign banks in Italy: An analysis of the determinants," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1295-1310, May.
- Daniel E. Nolle & Rama Seth, 1996. "Do banks follow their customers abroad?," Research Paper 9620, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Luca Papi & Debora Revoltella, 1999.
"Foreign Direct Investment in the Banking Sector: A Transitional Economy Perspective,"
Development Working Papers
133, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Luca PAPI & Debora REVOLTELLA, 1999. "Foreign Direct Investment in the Banking Sector: a Transitional Economy Perspective," Working Papers 113, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Ball, Clifford A. & Tschoegl, Adrian E., 1982. "The Decision to Establish a Foreign Bank Branch or Subsidiary: An Application of Binary Classification Procedures," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(03), pages 411-424, September.
- Marc Ruhr & Michael Ryan, 2005. "“Following” or “attracting” the customer? Japanese Banking FDI in Europe," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 33(4), pages 405-422, December.
- Salvatore Baldone & Fabio Sdogati & Lucia Tajoli, 1999. "Patterns and Determinants of International Fragmentation of Production. Evidence from Outward Processing Trade between the EU and the Countries of Central-Eastern Europe," Development Working Papers 134, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Dario Focarelli & Alberto Franco Pozzolo, 2005.
"Where Do Banks Expand Abroad? An Empirical Analysis,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(6), pages 2435-2464, November.
- Focarelli, Dario & Pozzolo, Alberto Franco, 2003. "Where Do Banks Expand Abroad? An Empirical Analysis," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp03009, University of Molise, Dept. EGSeI.
- Berger, Allen N. & Buch, Claudia M. & DeLong, Gayle & DeYoung, Robert, 2004. "Exporting financial institutions management via foreign direct investment mergers and acquisitions," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 333-366, April.
- Alejandro Reynoso, 2002. "Can Subsidiaries of Foreign Banks Contribute to the Stability of the Forex Market in Emerging Economies? A Look at Some Evidence from the Mexican..," NBER Working Papers 8864, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.