The impact of Basel I capital regulation on bank deposits and loans: Empirical evidence for Europe
AbstractThe Basel Committee on Banking and Supervision established minimum capital requirements for banks in their 1988 Capital Accord. This capital regulation was adopted for European Union banks at the beginning of 1993. After the implementation, a widespread concern emerged about the possible negative impact that higher capital requirements could exert on the level of economic activity, especially on bank lending. This paper investigates the impact of the Basel Accord on bank deposits and loans for eight European countries. We follow the approach taken by Peek and Rosengren (1995a) and test for the regulatory effect in a panel structure with about 2500 individual bank balance sheets for the years 1993-1995. We find that changes in deposits are positively correlated with changes in capital. Lower-capitalized banks show a stronger response to a change in capital than their higher-capitalized competitors. This evidence is consistent with the hypothesis that the implementation of minimum capital requirements had a negative effect on the supply of bank loans
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Money Macro and Finance Research Group in its series Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 with number 42.
Date of creation: 02 Feb 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.essex.ac.uk/afm/mmf/index.html
Bank capital regulation; Basel Accord of 1988; EU Banking;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2007-04-09 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2007-04-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2007-04-09 (Banking)
- NEP-REG-2007-04-09 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joe Peek & Eric Rosengren, 1993.
"Bank regulation and the credit crunch,"
93-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1995.
"Is bank lending important for the transmission of monetary policy? An overview,"
New England Economic Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Nov, pages 3-11.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1995. "Is bank lending important for the transmission of monetary policy: an overview," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 39, pages 1-14.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Jacques, Kevin T., 2001. "The impact of FDICIA and prompt corrective action on bank capital and risk: Estimates using a simultaneous equations model," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1139-1160, June.
- Allen N. Berger & Richard J. Herring & Giorgio P. Szegö, 1995.
"The Role of Capital in Financial Institutions,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
95-01, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Tolga Ediz & Ian Michael & William Perraudin, 1998. "The impact of capital requirements on U.K. bank behaviour," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Oct, pages 15-22.
- Estrella, Arturo, 2004. "The cyclical behavior of optimal bank capital," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1469-1498, June.
- Concetta Chiuri, Maria & Ferri, Giovanni & Majnoni, Giovanni, 2002.
"The macroeconomic impact of bank capital requirements in emerging economies: Past evidence to assess the future,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 881-904, May.
- Maria Concetta Chiuri & Giovanni Ferri & Giovanni Majnoni, 2000. "The Macroeconomic Impact Of Bank Capital Requirements In Emerging Economies: Past Evidence To Assess The Future," series 0002, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Metodi Matematici - Università di Bari, revised Sep 2000.
- Chiuri, Maria Concetta & Ferri, Giovanni & Majnoni, Giovanni, 2001. "The macroeconomic impact of bank capital requirements in emerging economies - past evidence to assess the future," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2605, The World Bank.
- Joe Peek & Eric Rosengren, 1991.
"The capital crunch: neither a borrower nor a lender be,"
91-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric, 1995. "The Capital Crunch: Neither a Borrower nor a Lender Be," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 625-38, August.
- Joe Peek & Eric Rosengren, 1993. "The Capital Crunch: Neither A Borrower Nor A Lender Be," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 243, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Sevestre, Patrick & Martinez-Pages, Jorge & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Ehrmann, Michael & Worms, Andreas, 2001.
"Financial systems and the role of banks in monetary policy transmission in the euro area,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2001,18, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Martinéz Pagés, Jorge & Sevestre, Patrick & Worms, Andreas, 2001. "Financial systems and the role of banks in monetary policy transmission in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0105, European Central Bank.
- Michael Ehrmann & Leonardo Gambacorta & Jorge Martínez-Pagés & Patrick Sevestre & Andreas Worms, 2001. "Financial Systems and the Role of Banks in Monetary Policy Transmission in the Euro Area," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0118, Banco de Espa�a.
- Michael Ehrmann & Leonardo Gambacorta & Jorge MartÃ¬nez-PagÃ¨s & Patrick Sevestre & Andreas Worms, 2001. "Fynancial Systems and the Role of Banks in Monetary Policy Transmission in the Euro area," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 432, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1994.
"Did risk-based capital allocate bank credit and cause a "credit crunch" in the United States?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 585-633.
- Berger, Allen N & Udell, Gregory F, 1994. "Do Risk-Based Capital Allocate Bank Credit and Cause a "Credit Crunch"' in the United States?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(3), pages 585-628, August.
- Adolfo Barajas & Ralph Chami & Thomas Cosimano, 2004.
""Did the Basel Accord Cause a Credit Slowdown in Latin America?”,"
Journal of LACEA Economia,
LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Thomas F. Cosimano & Ralph Chami & Adolfo Barajas, 2005. "Did the Basel Accord cause a Credit Slowdown in Latin America?," IMF Working Papers 05/38, International Monetary Fund.
- Arturo Estrella & Sangkyun Park & Stavros Peristiani, 2000. "Capital ratios as predictors of bank failure," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jul, pages 33-52.
- Mojon, Benoît & Kashyap, Anil K. & Angeloni, Ignazio & Terlizzese, Daniele, 2002. "Monetary Transmission in the Euro Area : Where Do We Stand?," Working Paper Series 0114, European Central Bank.
- Brinkmann, Emile J & Horvitz, Paul M, 1995. "Risk-Based Capital Standards and the Credit Crunch," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 848-63, August.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo & Mistrulli, Paolo Emilio, 2004. "Does bank capital affect lending behavior?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 436-457, October.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.