A theory of search with deadlines and uncertain recall
AbstractWe analyze an equilibrium search model where buyers seek to purchase a good before a deadline and face uncertainty regarding the availability of past price quotes in the future. Sellers cannot observe a potential buyer's remaining time until deadline nor his quote history, and hence post prices that weigh the probability of sale versus the profit once sold. The model's equilibrium can take one of three forms. In a late equilibrium, buyers initially forgo purchases, preferring to wait until the deadline. In an early equilibrium, any equilibrium offer is accepted as soon as it is received. In a full equilibrium, higher prices are turned down until near the deadline, while lower prices are immediately accepted. Equilibrium price and sales dynamics are determined by the time remaining until the deadline and the quote history of the consumer.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Miami, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2012-3.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: 12 Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Forthcoming: Under Review
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 248126, Coral Gables, FL 33124-6550
Phone: (305) 284-5540
Fax: (305) 284-2985
Web page: http://www.bus.miami.edu/faculty-and-research/academic-departments/economics/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Equilibrium Search; Deadlines; Uncertain Recall; Price Posting; Reservation Prices;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2012-07-14 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-DGE-2012-07-14 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-HPE-2012-07-14 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-MIC-2012-07-14 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wilde, Louis L & Schwartz, Alan, 1979.
"Equilibrium Comparison Shopping,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 543-53, July.
- Armstrong, Mark & Zhou, Jidong, 2010. "Conditioning prices on search behaviour," MPRA Paper 19985, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- S. Nuray Akin & Brennan Platt, 2012.
"Running Out of Time: Limited Unemployment Benefits and Reservation Wages,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 15(2), pages 149-170, April.
- S. Nuray Akin & Brennan Platt, 2011. "Code and data files for "Running Out of Time: Limited Unemployment Benefits and Reservation Wages"," Computer Codes 10-201, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Landsberger, Michael & Peled, Dan, 1977. "Duration of offers, price structure, and the gain from search," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 17-37, October.
- S. Nuray Akin & Brennan C. Platt, 2011. "Searching on a Deadline," Working Papers 2011-11, University of Miami, Department of Economics.
- Adam Copeland & Wendy Dunn & George Hall, 2011. "Inventories and the automobile market," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 42(1), pages 121-149, 03.
- Andrzej Skrzypacz & William Fuchs, 2009. "Bargaining with Deadlines," 2009 Meeting Papers 159, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- James Albrecht & Axel Anderson & Eric Smith & Susan Vroman, 2007. "Opportunistic Matching In The Housing Market," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 48(2), pages 641-664, 05.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- A theory of search with deadlines and uncertain recall
by Christian Zimmermann in NEP-DGE blog on 2012-07-15 16:31:25
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher Parmeter).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.