Generic entry, price competition, and market segmentation in the prescription drug market
AbstractThis paper studies the effects of generic entry on post-patent price competition for 18 prescription drugs recently exposed to competition. An independent, validating test of the “generic competition paradox” is conducted using a newly created data set. Each generic entrant is associated with an average 1% increase in the branded price. The one-way error component model accounts for intermolecular competition, market segmentation, and endogeneity of entry and finds branded prices increasing by 2%. Alternative definitions of entry suggest that price competition is confined to the generic market. The unique payer-type feature of the data offers empirical evidence supporting market segmentation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Miami, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2010-7.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 248126, Coral Gables, FL 33124-6550
Phone: (305) 284-5540
Fax: (305) 284-2985
Web page: http://www.bus.miami.edu/faculty-and-research/academic-departments/economics/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Generic entry; Price competition; Prescription drugs; Market segmentation; One-way error component model; EC2SLS;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Joan Costa-i-Font & Nebibe Varol & Alistair McGuire, 2011.
"Does pharmaceutical price regulation affect the adoption of generic competition?: evidence from the OECD, 1999-2008,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
37537, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Nebibe Varol & Joan Costa-i-Font & Alistair McGuire, 2011. "Does Pharmaceutical Price Regulation Affect the Adoption of Generic Competition? Evidence from the OECD, 1999-2008," CESifo Working Paper Series 3441, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher Parmeter).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.