Determinants of Monetary Poverty among Female-Headed Households in Benin
AbstractThis study investigates the impact of the gender of the household head on the determinants of monetary poverty in the Republic of Benin using data collected during the 1999 living standards measurement survey in the country's rural and urban areas. The results show that there has not been any feminization of poverty since 1995. In 1999, the incidence of poverty among female household heads was lower than that of their male-headed counterparts, but in some cities the poverty gap was higher. Based on these results, some suggestions are made in order to reduce the incidence of poverty in Benin.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by PEP-PMMA in its series Working Papers PMMA with number 2005-06.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Pavillon J.A. De Seve, Québec, Québec, G1V 0A6
Phone: 1-418-656-2131, ext. 2697
Web page: http://www.pep-net.org
More information through EDIRC
Poverty; female-headed households; rural; urban; gender; education; Benin;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D13 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Household Production and Intrahouse Allocation
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- J16 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Gender; Non-labor Discrimination
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-11-25 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Quisumbing, Agnes R. & Maluccio, John A., 2000.
"Intrahousehold allocation and gender relations,"
84, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Jean-Pierre Lachaud, 1994. "Marché du travail et exclusion sociale en Afrique francophone : quelques éléments d'analyse," Documents de travail 01, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.