Product Market Regulation, Firm Size, Unemployment and Informality in Developing Economies
AbstractThis paper studies the impact of product and labor market regulations on the number and size of firms in the formal and informal sectors, as well as on relative wages, relative size of the two sectors and overall unemployment. We show that entry costs in the formal sector tend to make informal firms smaller and more numerous than informal firms, i.e., such costs render the informal sector relatively more competitive. Furthermore, it is possible to reduce informality without increasing unemployment or reducing workers’ wage by reducing entry costs in the formal sector rather than reducing labor market regulations. We also highlight a number of externalities stemming from labor and product market imperfections, allowing the size of those distortions to differ across sectors. We show that, while the so-called overhiring externality takes place in both sectors, this translates into a smaller relative size of the informal sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRPEE in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 1043.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Informality; product and labor; market imperfections; firm size;
Other versions of this item:
- Charlot Olivier & Malherbet Franck & Terra Cristina, 2011. "Product market regulation, firm size, unemployment and informality in developing economies," THEMA Working Papers 2011-03, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Charlot, Olivier & Malherbet, Franck & Terra, Cristina, 2011. "Product Market Regulation, Firm Size, Unemployment and Informality in Developing Economies," IZA Discussion Papers 5519, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olivier Charlot & Franck Malherbet & Cristina Terra, 2011. "Product market regulation, firm size, unemployment and informality in developing economies," Working Papers hal-00568676, HAL.
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
- E26 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Informal Economy; Underground Economy
- J60 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - General
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-12-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2010-12-04 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-LAB-2010-12-04 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2010-12-04 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-REG-2010-12-04 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cahuc, Pierre & Marque, François & Wasmer, Etienne, 2004.
"A Theory of Wages and Labour Demand with Intra-firm Bargaining and Matching Frictions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4605, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierre Cahuc & Francois Marque & Etienne Wasmer, 2008. "A Theory Of Wages And Labor Demand With Intra-Firm Bargaining And Matching Frictions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 49(3), pages 943-972, 08.
- Basu, Arnab K & Chau, Nancy H & Kanbur, Ravi, 2011.
"Contractual Dualism, Market Power and Informality,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8485, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Charlot, Olivier & Malherbet, Franck & Ulus, Mustafa, 2013.
"Unemployment Compensation and the Allocation of Labor in Developing Countries,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7233, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Charlot, Olivier & Malherbet, Franck & Ulus, Mustafa, 2013. "Unemployment Compensation and the Allocation of Labor in Developing Countries," GIAM Working Papers 13-3, Galatasaray University Economic Research Center.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.