Heterogeneous Basket Options Pricing Using Analytical Approximations
AbstractThis paper proposes the use of analytical approximations to price an heterogeneous basket option combining commodity prices, foreign currencies and zero-coupon bonds. We examine the performance of three moment matching approximations: inverse gamma, Edgeworth expansion around the lognormal and Johnson family distributions. Since there is no closed-form formula for basket options, we carry out Monte Carlo simulations to generate the benchmark values. We perfom a simulation experiment on a whole set of options based on a random choice of parameters. Our results show that the lognormal and Johnson distributions give the most accurate results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRPEE in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 0605.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Basket Options; Options Pricing; Analytical Approximations; Monte Carlo Simulation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C16 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Econometric and Statistical Methods; Specific Distributions
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vanmaele, Michele & Deelstra, Griselda & Liinev, Jan, 2004. "Approximation of stop-loss premiums involving sums of lognormals by conditioning on two variables," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 343-367, October.
- Milevsky, Moshe Arye & Posner, Steven E., 1998. "Asian Options, the Sum of Lognormals, and the Reciprocal Gamma Distribution," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(03), pages 409-422, September.
- Griselda Deelstra & Jan Liinev & Michèle Vanmaele, 2004. "Pricing of arithmetic basket options by conditioning," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7600, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michèle Vanmaele & Griselda Deelstra & Jan Liinev, 2004. "Approximation of stop-loss premiums involving sums of lognormals by conditioning on two variables," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7604, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Jarrow, Robert & Rudd, Andrew, 1982. "Approximate option valuation for arbitrary stochastic processes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 347-369, November.
- Jèôme Barraquand, 1995. "Numerical Valuation of High Dimensional Multivariate European Securities," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(12), pages 1882-1891, December.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Deelstra, G. & Liinev, J. & Vanmaele, M., 2004. "Pricing of arithmetic basket options by conditioning," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 55-77, February.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Pliska, Stanley R., 1981. "Martingales and stochastic integrals in the theory of continuous trading," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 215-260, August.
- Georges Dionne & Geneviève Gauthier & Nadia Ouertani, 2009. "Basket Options on Heterogeneous Underlying Assets," Cahiers de recherche 0918, CIRPEE.
- Broadie, Mark & Detemple, Jerome, 1996. "American Option Valuation: New Bounds, Approximations, and a Comparison of Existing Methods," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(4), pages 1211-50.
- Michael Curran, 1994. "Valuing Asian and Portfolio Options by Conditioning on the Geometric Mean Price," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(12), pages 1705-1711, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.