Valuing Asian and Portfolio Options by Conditioning on the Geometric Mean Price
AbstractThe valuation of Asian, or a average price, options and of European options on portfolios in a "Black-Scholes" environment has given researchers trouble. The difficulty with these problems is that the probability distribution of the variable which determines the option payoff at expiration, a sum of correlated lognormal random variables, has no closed-form representation. For the Asian case the approach generally taken has been to approximate the distribution of the arithmetic average price, while for the portfolio option case, attempts have focused on discretizing the joint distribution of the terminal prices of the assets comprising the portfolio and approximating the expected risk-neutral option payoff with a discrete sum. These approaches are not entirely satisfactory. The distribution-approximating procedures for Asian options are not very accurate for some cases, while the computational requirements for obtaining a reasonably accurate estimate using the discretizing or multinomial approaches for portfolio options become excessive as the number of assets rises above four or five, because the computation time is exponential in the number of assets. This paper presents a method based on conditioning on the geometric mean price which results in a far more efficient technique for valuing these options.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 40 (1994)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
option pricing; conditioning; exotic options; Asian options;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Deelstra, G. & Liinev, J. & Vanmaele, M., 2004. "Pricing of arithmetic basket options by conditioning," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 55-77, February.
- Manuel Moreno & Javier F. Navas, 2003.
"Australian Asian options,"
Economics Working Papers
680, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Nielsen, J. Aase & Sandmann, Klaus & Schlögl, Erik, 2011.
"Equity-linked pension schemes with guarantees,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 547-564.
- Griselda Deelstra & Jan Liinev & Michèle Vanmaele, 2004. "Pricing of arithmetic basket options by conditioning," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7600, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Xia Su, 2006. "Hedging Basket Options by Using a Subset of Underlying Assets," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse14_2006, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Jiri Hoogland & Dimitri Neumann, 2001. "Tradable Schemes," Finance 0105003, EconWPA.
- Lemmens, D. & Liang, L.Z.J. & Tempere, J. & De Schepper, A., 2010. "Pricing bounds for discrete arithmetic Asian options under Lévy models," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(22), pages 5193-5207.
- Xu, Guoping & Zheng, Harry, 2010. "Basket options valuation for a local volatility jump-diffusion model with the asymptotic expansion method," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 415-422, December.
- Dingeç, Kemal Dinçer & Hörmann, Wolfgang, 2013. "Control variates and conditional Monte Carlo for basket and Asian options," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 421-434.
- Michèle Vanmaele & Griselda Deelstra & Jan Liinev, 2004. "Approximation of stop-loss premiums involving sums of lognormals by conditioning on two variables," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7604, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Guoping Xu & Harry Zheng, 2012. "Lower Bound Approximation to Basket Option Values for Local Volatility Jump-Diffusion Models," Papers 1212.3147, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2013.
- Vanmaele, Michele & Deelstra, Griselda & Liinev, Jan, 2004. "Approximation of stop-loss premiums involving sums of lognormals by conditioning on two variables," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 343-367, October.
- Vanduffel, Steven & Shang, Zhaoning & Henrard, Luc & Dhaene, Jan & Valdez, Emiliano A., 2008. "Analytic bounds and approximations for annuities and Asian options," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 1109-1117, June.
- Jacques, Michel, 1997. "The Istanbul option: Where the standard European option becomes Asian," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 139-152, November.
- Xu, Guoping & Zheng, Harry, 2009. "Approximate basket options valuation for a jump-diffusion model," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 188-194, October.
- Alexander Novikov & Nino Kordzakhia, 2013. "On lower and upper bounds for Asian-type options: a unified approach," Papers 1309.2383, arXiv.org.
- Dai, Min & Li, Peifan & Zhang, Jin E., 2010. "A lattice algorithm for pricing moving average barrier options," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 542-554, March.
- Plat, Richard & Pelsser, Antoon, 2009. "Analytical approximations for prices of swap rate dependent embedded options in insurance products," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 124-134, February.
- Georges Dionne & Geneviève Gauthier & Nadia Ouertani & Nabil Tahani, 2006. "Heterogeneous Basket Options Pricing Using Analytical Approximations," Cahiers de recherche 0605, CIRPEE.
- Hideharu Funahashi & Masaaki Kijima, 2013. "An Extension of the Chaos Expansion Approximation for the Pricing of Exotic Basket Options," KIER Working Papers 857, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Kampas, Athanasios & White, Ben, 2003. "Probabilistic programming for nitrate pollution control: Comparing different probabilistic constraint approximations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 217-228, May.
- Jiri Hoogland & Dimitri Neumann, 2001. "Asians and cash dividends: Exploiting symmetries in pricing theory," Finance 0105002, EconWPA.
- Boyle, Phelim & Potapchik, Alexander, 2008. "Prices and sensitivities of Asian options: A survey," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 189-211, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.