Numerical Valuation of High Dimensional Multivariate European Securities
AbstractWe consider the problem of pricing a contingent claim whose payoff depends on several sources of uncertainty. Using classical assumptions from the Arbitrage Pricing Theory, the theoretical price can be computed as the discounted expected value of future cash flows under the modified risk-neutral information process. Although analytical solutions have been developed elsewhere for a few particular option pricing problems, computing the arbitrage prices of securities under several sources of uncertainty is still an open problem in many instances. In this paper, we present efficient numerical techniques based upon Monte Carlo simulation for pricing European contingent claims depending on an arbitrary number of risk sources. We introduce in particular the method of quadratic resampling (QR), a new powerful error reduction technique for Monte Carlo simulation. Quadratic resampling can be efficiently combined with classical variance reduction methods such as importance sampling. Our numerical experiments show that the method is practical for pricing claims depending on up to one hundred underlying assets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 41 (1995)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
option pricing; multidimensional contingent claims; Monte Carlo method; importance sampling; quadratic resampling;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ng, Andrew C.Y. & Li, Johnny Siu-Hang & Chan, Wai-Sum, 2013. "Pricing options on stocks denominated in different currencies: Theory and illustrations," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 339-354.
- Robert H. Keeley & Sanjeev Punjabi & Lassaad Turki, 1996. "Valuation of Early-Stage Ventures: Option Valuation Models vs. Traditional Approaches," Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, Pepperdine University, Graziadio School of Business and Management, vol. 5(2), pages 115-38 , Summer.
- Tommaso Paletta & Arturo Leccadito & Radu Tunaru, 2013. "Pricing and Hedging Basket Options with Exact Moment Matching," Papers 1312.4443, arXiv.org.
- Dimitrakopoulos, Roussos G. & Abdel Sabour, Sabry A., 2007. "Evaluating mine plans under uncertainty: Can the real options make a difference?," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 116-125, September.
- Boyle, Phelim & Broadie, Mark & Glasserman, Paul, 1997. "Monte Carlo methods for security pricing," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(8-9), pages 1267-1321, June.
- Jeroen Rombouts & Lars Peter Stentoft, 2010.
"Multivariate Option Pricing With Time Varying Volatility and Correlations,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Rombouts, Jeroen V.K. & Stentoft, Lars, 2011. "Multivariate option pricing with time varying volatility and correlations," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 2267-2281, September.
- Jeroen V.K. Rombouts & Lars Stentoft, 2010. "Multivariate Option Pricing with Time Varying Volatility and Correlations," Cahiers de recherche 1020, CIRPEE.
- ROMBOUTS, Jeroen J. K & STENTOFT, Lars, 2010. "Multivariate option pricing with time varying volatility and correlations," CORE Discussion Papers 2010020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jeroen V.K. Rombouts & Lars Stentoft, 2010. "Multivariate Option Pricing with Time Varying Volatility and Correlations," CREATES Research Papers 2010-19, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Axel Kind, 2005. "Pricing American-Style Options By Simulation," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 109-116, June.
- Georges Dionne & Geneviève Gauthier & Nadia Ouertani & Nabil Tahani, 2006. "Heterogeneous Basket Options Pricing Using Analytical Approximations," Cahiers de recherche 0605, CIRPEE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.