Imposing Curvature Conditions on Flexible Functional Forms for GNP Functions
AbstractThis paper empirically investigates the implications of the imposition of convexity in output prices and concavity in factor endowments on flexible functional forms for the GNP function. Using macroeconomic data for Switzerland, we estimate the Translog and the Symmetric Normalized Quadratic forms to investigate the manner with which curvature restrictions are imposed, the extend of curvature violations and the robustness of estimated elasticities. We also compare the predictive accuracy of the aforementioned flexible functional forms. Our result show that concavity in factor endowments is violated much more often than convexity in output prices. For the Translog, the date at which local restrictions are imposed matters a great deal in terms of remaining curvature violations in the sample, but far less for estimated elasticities. In contrast, we found that the size and sign of elasticities vary across functional forms. In-sample forecasting analysis demonstrates that the Translog model significantly dominates the Symmetric Normalized Quadratic.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CREATE in its series Cahiers de recherche CREATE with number 2012-5.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Faculté des sciences de l'agriculture et de l'alimentation, Pavillon Paul-Comtois, 2425 rue de l'Agriculture, local 4424, Québec, Qc, G1V 0A6
Phone: 418-656-2131 poste 5098
Web page: http://www.create.ulaval.ca
More information through EDIRC
GNP function; flexible functional forms; curvature violations; elasticities;
Other versions of this item:
- Chapda Nana, Guy & Larue, Bruno, 2012. "Imposing Curvature Conditions on Flexible Functional Forms to GNP Functions," Working Papers 123308, University of Laval, Center for Research on the Economics of the Environment, Agri-food, Transports and Energy (CREATE).
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- C30 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William Barnett & Apostolos Serletis, 2008.
"Consumer preferences and demand systems,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
200801, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2008.
- Griffiths, William E. & O'Donnell, Christopher J. & Cruz, Agustina Tan, 1999.
"Imposing Regularity Conditions On A System Of Cost And Factor Share Equations,"
12925, University of New England, School of Economics.
- Griffiths, William E. & O'Donnell, Christopher J. & Cruz, Agustina Tan, 2000. "Imposing regularity conditions on a system of cost and factor share equations," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 44(1), March.
- Edward R. Morey, 1986. "An Introduction to Checking, Testing, and Imposing Curvature Properties: The True Function and the Estimated Function," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 19(2), pages 207-35, May.
- Harvey, David & Leybourne, Stephen & Newbold, Paul, 1997. "Testing the equality of prediction mean squared errors," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 281-291, June.
- Lariviere, Eric & Larue, Bruno & Chalfant, Jim, 2000. "Modeling the demand for alcoholic beverages and advertising specifications," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 22(2), pages 147-162, March.
- Chapda Nana, Guy & Gervais, Jean-Philippe & Larue, Bruno, 2010. "Regional Integration and Dynamic Adjustments: Evidence from a Gross National Product Function for Canada and the United States," MPRA Paper 23389, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 1999.
"Imposing Local Curvature Conditions in Flexible Demand System,"
Staff General Research Papers
1745, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Moschini, Giancarlo, 1999. "Imposing Local Curvature Conditions in Flexible Demand Systems," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(4), pages 487-90, October.
- Terrell, Dek, 1996. "Incorporating Monotonicity and Concavity Conditions in Flexible Functional Forms," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(2), pages 179-94, March-Apr.
- Subhash C. Sharma, 2002. "The Morishima Elasticity of Substitution for the Variable Profit Function and the Demand for Imports in the United States," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(1), pages 115-135, February.
- William Barnett & Apostolos Serletis, 2009.
"Measuring Consumer Preferences and Estimating Demand Systems,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
200901, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2009.
- Barnett, William A. & Serletis, Apostolos, 2008. "Measuring Consumer Preferences and Estimating Demand Systems," MPRA Paper 12318, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Feng, Guohua & Serletis, Apostolos, 2008. "Productivity trends in U.S. manufacturing: Evidence from the NQ and AIM cost functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 281-311, January.
- Ryan, David L. & Wales, Terence J., 2000. "Imposing local concavity in the translog and generalized Leontief cost functions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 253-260, June.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Tom Doan, . "DMARIANO: RATS procedure to compute Diebold-Mariano Forecast Comparison Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00055, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," NBER Technical Working Papers 0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ryan, David L & Wales, Terence J, 1998. "A Simple Method for Imposing Local Curvature in Some Flexible Consumer-Demand Systems," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 331-38, July.
- Douglas Fisher & Adrian R. Fleissig & Apostolos Serletis, 2001. "An empirical comparison of flexible demand system functional forms," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 59-80.
- Zijun Wang & David A. Bessler, 2003. "Forecast evaluations in meat demand analysis," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(4), pages 505-523.
- Terry L. Kastens & Gary W. Brester, 1996. "Model Selection and Forecasting Ability of Theory-Constrained Food Demand Systems," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 301-312.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Golub, Gene H., 1984.
"Imposing curvature restrictions on flexible functional forms,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 295-321, December.
- A. Ronald Gallant & Gene H. Golub, 1982. "Imposing Curvature Restrictions on Flexible Functional Forms," Discussion Papers 538, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Serletis, Apostolos & Shahmoradi, Asghar, 2007. "Flexible Functional Forms, Curvature Conditions, And The Demand For Assets," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(04), pages 455-486, September.
- repec:clg:wpaper:2000-04 is not listed on IDEAS
- Holt, Matthew T., 1998. "Autocorrelation specification in singular equation systems: A further look," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 135-141, February.
- Kohli, Ulrich, 1993. "A Symmetric Normalized Quadratic GNP Function and the U.S. Demand for Imports and Supply of Exports," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 34(1), pages 243-55, February.
- Christis G. Tombazos, 2003. "A Production Theory Approach to the Imports and Wage Inequality Nexus," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 41(1), pages 42-61, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.