A Symmetric Normalized Quadratic GNP Function and the U.S. Demand for Imports and Supply of Exports
AbstractThis paper reports estimates of a GNP function for the United States using data covering most of the postwar period and it introduces a new functional form, the symmetric normalized quadra tic variable profit function, which is a natural extension of recent wor k by W. E. Diewert and T. J. Wales. This functional form allows convexity in prices and concavity in fixed inputs to be imposed globally. Empirical resu lts indicate that the demand for imports is less price elastic than the supply exports, that an increase in labor endowment favors trade, an d that a deterioration of the terms of trade mostly hurts labor. Copyright 1993 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 34 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kevin J Fox, 2005. "Returns to Scale, Technical Progress and Total Factor Productivity Growth in New Zealand Industries," Treasury Working Paper Series 05/04, New Zealand Treasury.
- Polman, Nico B.P. & Peerlings, Jack H.M., 2002. "The Role of Transaction Costs and Bargaining Power in Wildlife and Landscape Services Production: A Micro-Econometric Model for Dutch Dairy Farms," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24948, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Guy Chapda Nana & Bruno Larue, 2012.
"Imposing Curvature Conditions on Flexible Functional Forms for GNP Functions,"
Cahiers de recherche CREATE
- Chapda Nana, Guy & Larue, Bruno, 2012. "Imposing Curvature Conditions on Flexible Functional Forms to GNP Functions," Working Papers 123308, University of Laval, Center for Research on the Economics of the Environment, Agri-food, Transports and Energy (CREATE).
- Jacinto F. Fabiosa & Helen H. Jensen & Dong Yan, 2004.
"Output Supply and Input Demand System of Commercial and Backyard Poultry Producers in Indonesia,"
Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications
04-wp363, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Yan, Dong & Jensen, Helen H. & Fabiosa, Jacinto F., 2004. "Output Supply And Input Demand System Of Commercial And Backyard Poultry Producers In Indonesia," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20266, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jacinto F. Fabiosa & Helen H. Jensen & Dong Yan, 2004. "Output Supply and Input Demand System of Commercial and Backyard Poultry Producers in Indonesia," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 04-wp363, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Gokhan Akay & Can Dogan, 2013. "The effect of labor supply changes on output: empirical evidence from US industries," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 123-130, April.
- Henningsen, Arne & Glauben, Thomas & Henning, Christian H.C.A., 2003.
"Farm Household Decisions Under Various Tax Policies: Comparative Static Results And Evidence From Household Data,"
2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa
25889, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Glauben, Thomas & Henning, Christian H.C.A. & Henningsen, Arne, 2003. "Farm household decisions under various tax policies: Comparative static results and evidence from household data," FE Working Papers 0309, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Food Economics and Consumption Studies.
- Diewert, W. E. & Wales, T. J., 1995. "Flexible functional forms and tests of homogeneous separability," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 259-302, June.
- Truett, Lila J. & Truett, Dale B., 1998. "The demand for imports in Korea: a production analysis approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 97-114, June.
- Yijian He & Subhash C. Sharma, 1995. "The Morishima Elasticity of Substitution for the Profit Function," Microeconomics 9502002, EconWPA, revised 17 Feb 1995.
- Pierani, Pierpaolo & Rizzi, Pier Luigi, 2003. "Technology and efficiency in a panel of Italian dairy farms: an SGM restricted cost function approach," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 195-209, October.
- Ludo Peeters & Yves Surry, 2000. "Incorporating Price-Induced Innovation in a Symmetric Generalised McFadden Cost Function with Several Outputs," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 53-70, July.
- Truett, Lila J. & Truett, Dale B., 2003. "A cost function analysis of import demand and growth in South Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 425-442, April.
- Henning, Christian H.C.A. & Henningsen, Arne, 2007. "AJAE Appendix: Modeling Farm Households' Price Responses in the Presence of Transaction Costs and Heterogeneity in Labor Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics Appendices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(3), August.
- Roberto Esposti & Pierpaolo Pierani, 2008.
"Price-induced technical progress in Italian agriculture,"
Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement,
INRA Department of Economics, vol. 89(4), pages 5-28.
- Roberto ESPOSTI & Pierpaolo PIERANI, 2006. "Price-Induced Technical Progress in Italian Agriculture," Working Papers 275, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Truett, Lila J. & Truett, Dale B., 2002. "The demand for imports in Italy: A production analysis," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 393-409.
- Salvator Nkunzimana & H. Alan Love & C. Richard Shumway, 2003. "Mexican agricultural trade under the GATT," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(4), pages 449-459.
- Feinerman, Eli & Peerlings, Jack H.M., 2002. "Uncertain Land Availability and Perceived Biases in Investment Decisions: The Case of Dutch Dairy Farms," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24949, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tarjáni, Hajnalka, 2006.
"A technológiai fejlődés és a kereskedelem hatása a szakképzettségi prémiumra
[Analysing the impacts of technological development and trade on the skill premium in Hungary]," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(3), pages 226-234.
- Henning, Christian H.C.A. & Henningsen, Arne, 2005. "Modeling Price Response of Farm Households Under Imperfect Labor Markets: A Farm Household Approach to Family Farms in Poland," 94th Seminar, April 9-10, 2005, Ashford, UK 24431, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hillberry, Russell & Hummels, David, 2013. "Trade Elasticity Parameters for a Computable General Equilibrium Model," Handbook of Computable General Equilibrium Modeling, Elsevier.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.