European Railway Deregulation: The Influence of Regulatory and Environmental Conditions on Efficiency
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to analyze the impact of regulatory and environmental conditions on technical effciency of European railways. Using a panel data set of 31 railway firms from 22 European countries from 1994 to 2005, a multioutput distance function model, including regulatory and environmental factors, is estimated using stochastic frontier analysis. The results obtained indicate positive and negative effciency effects of different regulatory reforms. Furthermore, estimating models with and without regulatory and environmental factors clearly indicates that the omission of environmental factors, such as network density, substantially changes parameter estimates and, hence, leads to biased estimation results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics with number 86.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: May 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://leuphana.de/institute/ivwl.html
European railways; technical effciency; stochastic frontier analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L92 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Railroads and Other Surface Transportation
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-05-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2008-05-31 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-ENE-2008-05-31 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2008-05-31 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-REG-2008-05-31 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin F. Quaas & Stefan Baumgärtner, 2006.
"The Private and Public Insurance Value of Conservative Biodiversity Management,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
33, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Baumgärtner, Stefan & Quaas, Martin, 2005. "The private and public insurance value of conservative biodiversity management," UFZ Discussion Papers 27/2005, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ), Division of Social Sciences (ÖKUS).
- Pavlyuk, Dmitry, 2008. "An Efficiency Analysis of European Countries' Railways," MPRA Paper 20922, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Wagner).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.