The Circular City with Heterogeneous Firms
AbstractThe paper extends the Salop model of localized competition by allowing firms to have heterogeneous costs. We provide a general but highly tractable analytical solution for the equilibrium prices, and we study the long-run properties of the model using two different entry games. We show that cost heterogeneity affects the efficiency of the market equilibrium by increasing welfare and inducing less excessive entry. Further, we illustrate the positive effects of the existence of a selection mechanism, which induces less efficient firms not to start production. The model also replicates some recent results on dense markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Loughborough University in its series Discussion Paper Series with number 2008_03.
Date of creation: Jul 2008
Date of revision: Jul 2008
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Loughborough, Leicestershire, LE11 3TU
Phone: +44 (0) 1509 222701
Fax: +44 (0) 1509 223910
Web page: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sbe/research/economics/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Localized competition; market effciency; cost heterogeneity; large markets.;
Other versions of this item:
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-07-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2008-07-30 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-GEO-2008-07-30 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-IND-2008-07-30 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MIC-2008-07-30 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-URE-2008-07-30 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bester,Helmut, 1988.
"Bertrand equilibrium in a differentiated duopoly,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
209, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Anthony Creane, 2007. "Note on uncertainty and socially excessive entry," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 3(4), pages 329-334.
- Bouckaert, J., 1995.
"Momopolistic Competition with a Mail Order Business,"
9562, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Bouckaert, Jan, 2000. "Monopolistic competition with a mail order business," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 303-310, March.
- Bouckaert, J.M.C., 1995. "Monopolistic competition with a mail order business," Discussion Paper 1995-62, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Volker Nocke, 2003.
"A Gap for Me: Entrepreneurs and Entry,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
05-026, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania, revised 29 Sep 2005.
- Eaton, B Curtis & Lipsey, Richard G, 1978. "Freedom of Entry and the Existence of Pure Profit," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(351), pages 455-69, September.
- von Ungern-Sternberg, Thomas, 1991. "Monopolistic Competition on the Pyramid," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 355-68, June.
- Joris Pinkse & Margaret E. Slade & Craig Brett, 2002. "Spatial Price Competition: A Semiparametric Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(3), pages 1111-1153, May.
- Montagna, Catia, 1995. "Monopolistic Competition with Firm-Specific Costs," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(2), pages 318-28, April.
- Michael H. Riordan & Yongmin Chen, 2005.
"Price and Variety in the Spokes Model,"
0405-20, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Schaumans, Catherine & Verboven, Frank, 2006.
"Entry and regulation - Evidence from health care professions,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/120200, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Catherine Schaumans & Frank Verboven, 2008. "Entry and regulation: evidence from health care professions," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 39(4), pages 949-972.
- Schaumans, Catherine & Verboven, Frank, 2006. "Entry and Regulation - Evidence from Health Care Professions," CEPR Discussion Papers 5482, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Qihong Liu & Konstantinos Serfes, 2005. "Imperfect price discrimination, market structure, and efficiency," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(4), pages 1191-1203, November.
- Rothschild, R, 1982. "Competitive Behaviour in Chain-Linked Markets," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(1-2), pages 57-67, September.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"On Hotelling's "Stability in competition","
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-385, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Simon P. Anderson & Andre de Palma, 1998.
"From Local to Global Competition,"
Virginia Economics Online Papers
344, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- S. P. Anderson & A. de Palma, 1997. "From local to global competition," THEMA Working Papers 97-10, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Anderson, Simon P & de Palma, André, 1996. "From Local to Global Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 1328, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eric J. Bartelsman & Mark Doms, 2000.
"Understanding productivity: lessons from longitudinal microdata,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2000-19, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mark Doms & Eric J. Bartelsman, 2000. "Understanding Productivity: Lessons from Longitudinal Microdata," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(3), pages 569-594, September.
- Claudio A. Piga, 1998. "A Dynamic Model of Advertising and Product Differentiation," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 13(5), pages 509-522, October.
- Aiura, Hiroshi & Sato, Yasuhiro, 2008. "Welfare properties of spatial competition with location-dependent costs," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 32-48, January.
- Spulber, Daniel F, 1995. "Bertrand Competition When Rivals' Costs Are Unknown," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 1-11, March.
- Waterson, Michael, 1990. "Product Differentiation and Profitability: An Asymmetric Model," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(2), pages 113-30, December.
- Matthew Beacham, 2012. "The effect of Stackelberg cost reductions on spatial competition with heterogeneous firms," Discussion Papers 12/14, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Marco Alderighi & Claudio A. Piga, 2009.
"On cost restrictions in spatial competition models with heterogeneous firms,"
Discussion Paper Series
2009_09, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Jul 2009.
- Alderighi, Marco & Piga, Claudio A., 2010. "On cost restrictions in spatial competition models with heterogeneous firms," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 40-42, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Huw Edwards).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.