Opportunities in Higher Education: An Application in France
AbstractThis paper first sets out criteria to evaluate the inequality of opportunity in higher education. We propose a two-level classification, by distinguishing the categorial and the counterfactual approaches. For each approach, we consider dominance quasi-orderings and inequality measures. We then apply these criteria to the French higher education system, by comparing the situation in 1992 and 2004. Our main findings reveal that: (i) there is inequality of opportunity in each of the two years; (ii) even if we cannot say that the situation was unambiguously better in 1992, we can nevertheless state that the inequality of opportunity haven’t decreased significantly in the meantime.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier in its series Working Papers with number 13-05.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2013
Date of revision: Mar 2013
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Avenue Raymond Dugrand, CS 79606, 34960 Montpellier Cedex 2
Web page: http://www.lameta.univ-montp1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guido Heineck & Regina T. Riphahn, 2007.
"Intergenerational Transmission of Educational Attainment in Germany: The Last Five Decades,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
738, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Guido Heineck & Regina T. Riphahn, 2009. "Intergenerational Transmission of Educational Attainment in Germany - The Last Five Decades," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 229(1), pages 36-60, February.
- Guido Heineck & Regina T. Riphahn, 2007. "Intergenerational Transmission of Educational Attainment in Germany: The Last Five Decades," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 37, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Heineck, Guido & Riphahn, Regina T., 2007. "Intergenerational Transmission of Educational Attainment in Germany: The Last Five Decades," IZA Discussion Papers 2985, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Almås, Ingvild & Cappelen, Alexander W. & Lind, Jo Thori & Sørensen, Erik Ø. & Tungodden, Bertil, 2011.
"Measuring unfair (in)equality,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(7), pages 488-499.
- Daniele Checchi & Vito Peragine, 2010. "Inequality of opportunity in Italy," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 429-450, December.
- Bourguignon, François & Ferreira, Francisco & Menéndez, Marta, 2007. "Inequality of Opportunity in Brazil," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1552, Paris Dauphine University.
- Beach, Charles M. & Chow, K. Victor & Formby, John P. & Slotsve, George A., 1994. "Statistical inference for decile means," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 161-167, June.
- Lefranc, Arnaud & Pistolesi, Nicolas & Trannoy, Alain, 2009.
"Equality of opportunity and luck: Definitions and testable conditions, with an application to income in France,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(11-12), pages 1189-1207, December.
- Arnaud LEFRANC, Nicolas PISTOLESI, Alain TRANNOY, 2009. "Equality of opportunity and luck: De nitions and testable conditions, with an application to income in France," THEMA Working Papers 2009-01, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Cowell, Frank A, 1985. "Measures of Distributional Change: An Axiomatic Approach," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(1), pages 135-51, January.
- Vito Peragine & Laura Serlenga, 2007.
"Higher education and equality of opportunity in Italy,"
CHILD Working Papers
wp01_08, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Laura Serlenga & Vito Peragine, 2007. "Higher education and equality of opportunity in Italy," Working Papers 79, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Peragine, Vito & Serlenga, Laura, 2007. "Higher Education and Equality of Opportunity in Italy," IZA Discussion Papers 3163, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- François Bourguignon & Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Marta Menéndez, 2007.
"Inequality Of Opportunity In Brazil,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 53(4), pages 585-618, December.
- Francois Bourguignon & Francisco H.B. Ferreira & Marta Menéndez, 2005. "Inequality of Opportunity in Brazil," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 133, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Gabriela Schütz & Heinrich Ursprung & Ludger Woessmann, 2005.
"Education Policy and Equality of Opportunity,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1518, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kurt Devooght, 2008. "To Each the Same and to Each his Own: A Proposal to Measure Responsibility-Sensitive Income Inequality," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 75(298), pages 280-295, 05.
- Erwin Ooghe & Erik Schokkaert & Dirk gaer, 2007.
"Equality of Opportunity versus Equality of Opportunity Sets,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 209-230, February.
- Erwin Ooghe & Erik Schokkaert & Dirk Van de Gaer, 2003. "Equality of opportunity versus equality of opportunity sets," Public Economics Working Paper Series wpeoeos, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- OOGHE, Erwin & SCHOKKAERT, Erik & VAN DE GAER, Dirk, . "Equality of opportunity versus equality of opportunity sets," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1960, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- E. Ooghe & E. Schokkaert & D. Van De Gaer, 2004. "Equality of opportunity versus equality of opportunity sets," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 04/240, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Brice Magdalou & Richard Nock, 2010.
"Income Distributions and Decomposable Divergence Measures,"
Documents de Travail
2010-01, CEREGMIA, Université des Antilles et de la Guyane.
- Magdalou, Brice & Nock, Richard, 2011. "Income distributions and decomposable divergence measures," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 146(6), pages 2440-2454.
- Fabio D. Waltenberg & Vincent Vandenberghe, 2006.
"What Does It Take To Achieve Equality Of Opportunity In Education? An Empirical Investigation Based On Brazilian Data,"
Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting]
89, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Waltenberg, Fabio D. & Vandenberghe, Vincent, 2007. "What does it take to achieve equality of opportunity in education?: An empirical investigation based on Brazilian data," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 709-723, December.
- F.D., Waltenberg & V. , Vandenberghe, 2005. "What Does it Take to Achieve Equality of Opportunity in Education ? An Empirical Investigation Based on Brazilian Data," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2005055, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Magali Jaoul-Grammare, 2007. "Social attributes, equity and higher educative path. Microeconometric study of a discrete choice model with logistic regression," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 287-291.
- Foster, James E. & Shneyerov, Artyom A., 2000. "Path Independent Inequality Measures," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 199-222, April.
- Magdalou, Brice & Moyes, Patrick, 2012.
"The absence of deprivation as a measure of social well-being: An empirical investigation,"
Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 75-79.
- Patrick MOYES (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113) & Brice MAGDALOU (CEREGMIA (EA 2440), Université des Antilles et de la Guyane), 2012. "The Absence of Deprivation as a Measure of Social Well-Being. An Empirical Investigation," Cahiers du GREThA 2012-02, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Bossert W., 1996.
"Redistribution mechanisms based on individual characteristics,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 51-51, February.
- Bossert, Walter, 1995. "Redistribution mechanisms based on individual characteristics," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-17, February.
- Bossert, W., 1993. "Redistribution Mechanisms Based on Individual Characteristics," Working Papers 9307, University of Waterloo, Department of Economics.
- Louis-André Vallet & Claude Thélot, 2000. "La réduction des inégalités sociales devant l'école depuis le début du siècle," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 334(1), pages 3-32.
- Marc Fleurbaey & Walter Bossert, 1996. "Redistribution and compensation (*)," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 343-355.
- Devooght, Kurt, 2008. "To Each the Same and to Each his Own: A Proposal to Measure Responsibility-Sensitive Income Inequality," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/406259, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Steve Machin & Anna Vignoles, 2004. "Educational inequality: the widening socio-economic gap," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 25(2), pages 107-128, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Modat).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.