To Each the Same and to Each his Own: A Proposal to Measure Responsibility-Sensitive Income Inequality
AbstractThis paper deals with the question of how to incorporate modern responsibility-catering egalitarianism into economic theory on the measurement of income inequality. I present a particular axiomatic expression of the main aspects of such egalitarianism. Then, to measure offensive inequality separately I construct a norm or reference income distribution based upon the axiomatic model to replace the perfectly equal income distribution that is used as norm by all common inequality measures. I defend the use of a particular measure of distributional change to determine the degree of offensive inequality, and apply the method to Belgian income data. Copyright (c) The London School of Economics and Political Science 2007.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and Political Science in its journal Economica.
Volume (Year): 75 (2008)
Issue (Month): 298 (05)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0427
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Magali JAOUL-GRAMMARE & Brice MAGDALOU, 2013.
"Opportunities in Higher Education : An Application to France,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 111-112, pages 12.
- Magali Jaoul-Grammare & Brice Magdalou, 2013. "Opportunities in Higher Education: An Application in France," Working Papers 13-05, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Mar 2013.
- Niehues, J. (Judith) & Andreas Peichl, 2012. "GINI DP 34: Bounds of Unfair Inequality of Opportunity: Theory and Evidence for Germany and the US," GINI Discussion Papers 34, AIAS, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies.
- Xavier Ramos & Dirk Van de gaer, 2012.
"Empirical Approaches to Inequality of Opportunity: Principles, Measures, and Evidence,"
wpdea1208, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- RAMOS, Xavier & VAN DE GAER, Dirk, 2012. "Empirical approaches to inequality of opportunity: principles, measures, and evidence," CORE Discussion Papers 2012026, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- X. Ramos & D. Van De Gaer, 2012. "Empirical Approaches to Inequality of Opportunity: Principles, Measures, and Evidence," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 12/792, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Ramos, Xavi & Van de gaer, Dirk, 2012. "Empirical Approaches to Inequality of Opportunity: Principles, Measures, and Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 6672, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Xavier Ramos & Dirk Van de gaer, 2012. "Empirical approaches to inequality of opportunity: Principles, measures, and evidence," Working Papers 259, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Judith Niehues & Andreas Peichl, 2012. "Bounds of Unfair Inequality of Opportunity: Theory and Evidence for Germany and the US," CESifo Working Paper Series 3815, CESifo Group Munich.
- Magdalou, Brice & Nock, Richard, 2011.
"Income distributions and decomposable divergence measures,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 146(6), pages 2440-2454.
- Brice Magdalou & Richard Nock, 2010. "Income Distributions and Decomposable Divergence Measures," Documents de Travail 2010-01, CEREGMIA, Université des Antilles et de la Guyane.
- Erik Figueiredo, 2011. "A Note on the Measurement of Unfair Inequality in Brazil," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(4), pages 2944-2951.
- Frank Cowell & Emmanuel Flachaire & Sanghamitra Bandyopadhyay, 2013. "Reference distributions and inequality measurement," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 421-437, December.
- GARCIA-GOMEZ, Pilar & SCHOKKAERT, Erik & VAN OURTI, Tom & BAGO D’UVA, Teresa, 2012.
"Inequity in the face of death,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2012024, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Almås, Ingvild & Cappelen, Alexander W. & Lind, Jo Thori & Sørensen, Erik Ø. & Tungodden, Bertil, 2011.
"Measuring unfair (in)equality,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(7), pages 488-499.
- Jochen Mierau & Stephen Turnovsky, 2014. "Demography, growth, and inequality," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 55(1), pages 29-68, January.
- Pilar Garcia-Gomez & Erik Schokkaert & Tom Van Ourti & Teresa Bago d'Uva, 2012. "Inequity in the Face of Death," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-084/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Judith Niehues & Andreas Peichl, 2011.
"Lower and Upper Bounds of Unfair Inequality: Theory and Evidence for Germany and the US,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
395, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Niehues, Judith & Peichl, Andreas, 2011. "Lower and Upper Bounds of Unfair Inequality: Theory and Evidence for Germany and the US," IZA Discussion Papers 5834, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Judith Niehues & Andreas Peichl, 2011. "Lower and upper bounds of unfair inequality: Theory and evidence for Germany and the US," Working Papers 216, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- John E. Roemer & Alain Trannoy, 2014. "Equality of Opportunity," Levine's Working Paper Archive 786969000000000914, David K. Levine.
- Erik Alencar de Figueiredo & José Luis da Silva Netto Júnior, 2012. "More Equal But Not So Fair- an Analysis of Brazilian Income Distribution from 1995 to 2009," SÃ©rie Textos para DiscussÃ£o (Working Papers) 11, Programa de Pós-Graduação em Economia - PPGE, Universidade Federal da Paraíba.
- Erik Alencar de Figueiredo & Cleiton Roberto da Fonseca Silva, 2012. "Fairness and Income Redistribution- an Analysis of the Latin American Tax System," SÃ©rie Textos para DiscussÃ£o (Working Papers) 4, Programa de Pós-Graduação em Economia - PPGE, Universidade Federal da Paraíba.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.