Temporary Bubbles and Discount Window Policy
AbstractThis paper presents a monetary growth model where limited communication and random relocation create endogenous roles for money and banks. The economy can exhibit two different regimes. In the first, money is a dominated asset and banks economize cash reserves. In the second, money has the same return as capital and banks use the reserves as storage. I show that the economy can experience switching between the two regimes and that cyclical bubbles can occur. In addition, discount window lending is considered as a counter-bubble policy. I also show that the discount window can simultaneously lead the economy to the social optimum and stabilize bubbly fluctuations when the economy is dynamically inefficient.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research in its series KIER Working Papers with number 802.
Date of creation: Dec 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Yoshida-Honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501
Web page: http://www.kier.kyoto-u.ac.jp/eng/index.html
More information through EDIRC
overlapping generations; temporary bubbles; discount window;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D90 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - General
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-12-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2011-12-19 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-MON-2011-12-19 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michel, Philippe & Wigniolle, Bertrand, 2005.
"Cash-In-Advance Constraints, Bubbles, And Monetary Policy,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(01), pages 28-56, February.
- Philippe Michel & Bertrand Wigniolle, 2005. "Cash-in-advance constraints, bubbles and monetary policy," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00268861, HAL.
- Michel, Philippe & Wigniolle, Bertrand, 2003. "Temporary bubbles," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 173-183, September.
- Gaetano Antinolfi & Todd Keister, 2003.
"Discount Window Policy, Banking Crises, and Indeterminacy of Equilibrium,"
0305, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Antinolfi, Gaetano & Keister, Todd, 2006. "Discount Window Policy, Banking Crises, And Indeterminacy Of Equilibrium," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 1-19, February.
- Gaetano Antinolfi & Elisabeth Huybens & Todd Keister, 2000.
"Monetary Stability and Liquidity Crises: The Role of the Lender of Last Resort,"
0001, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Antinolfi, Gaetano & Huybens, Elisabeth & Keister, Todd, 2001. "Monetary Stability and Liquidity Crises: The Role of the Lender of Last Resort," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 99(1-2), pages 187-219, July.
- Gaetano Antinolfi & Elisabeth Huybens, 2000. "Monetary Stability and Liquidity Crises: The Role of the Lender of Last Resort," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1156, Econometric Society.
- Schreft, Stacey L. & Smith, Bruce D., 1997.
"Money, Banking, and Capital Formation,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 157-182, March.
- Joseph H. Haslag & Antoine Martin, 2007.
"Optimality of the Friedman Rule in an Overlapping Generations Model with Spatial Separation,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(7), pages 1741-1758, October.
- Joseph H. Haslag & Antoine Martin, 2005. "Optimality of the Friedman rule in an overlapping generations model with spatial separation," Staff Reports 225, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-19, June.
- Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Huybens, Elisabeth & Guzman, Mark G. & Smith, Bruce D., 1997.
"Monetary, Fiscal, and Bank Regulatory Policy in a Simple Monetary Growth Model,"
Staff General Research Papers
5136, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Joydeep Bhattacharya & Mark G. Guzman & Elisabeth Huybens & Bruce D. Smith, 1995. "Monetary, Fiscal, and Bank Regulatory Policy in a Simple Monetary Growth Model," Working Papers 9501, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- CRETTEZ, Bertrand & MICHEL, Philippe & WIGNIOLLE, Bertrand, 1998.
"Cash-in-advance constraints in the diamond overlapping generations model: neutrality and optimality of monetary policies,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1998005, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Crettez, Bertrand & Michel, Philippe & Wigniolle, Bertrand, 1999. "Cash-in-Advance Constraints in the Diamond Overlapping Generations Model: Neutrality and Optimality of Monetary Policies," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(3), pages 431-52, July.
- Crettez, B. & Michel, P. & Wigniolle, B., 1997. "Cash-in-Advance Constraints in the Diamond Overlapping Generations Model: Neutrality and Optimality of Monetary Policies," Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications 97.52, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Pere Gomis-Porqueras, 2000. "Money, banks and endogenous volatility," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 735-745.
- Bhattacharya, Joydeep, et al, 1997. "Monetary, Fiscal, and Reserve Requirement Policy in a Simple Monetary Growth Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(2), pages 321-50, May.
- Tirole, Jean, 1985. "Asset Bubbles and Overlapping Generations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1499-1528, November.
- Cass, David & Shell, Karl, 1983. "Do Sunspots Matter?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 193-227, April.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1985. "On Endogenous Competitive Business Cycles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 995-1045, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Akihisa Shibata).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.