Cash-in-advance constraints in the diamond overlapping generations model: neutrality and optimality of monetary policies
AbstractThis paper is a study of money in overlapping generations models with cash-in-advance constraints. We ﬁrst offer a brief review of different features of the cash-in-advance constraint. Then we propose a general formulation and study the neutrality of money. We show that both neutrality and equilibrium dynamics depend on the form of the cashin-advance constraint. We then show that optimal intergenerational resources sharing can be implemented through monetary transfers. Finally, we ﬁnd that the Chicago Rule is implied by optimal monetary policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) in its series CORE Discussion Papers with number 1998005.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
cash-in-advance constraint; monetary policy; superneutrality; overlapping generations model.;
Other versions of this item:
- Crettez, Bertrand & Michel, Philippe & Wigniolle, Bertrand, 1999. "Cash-in-Advance Constraints in the Diamond Overlapping Generations Model: Neutrality and Optimality of Monetary Policies," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(3), pages 431-52, July.
- Crettez, B. & Michel, P. & Wigniolle, B., 1997. "Cash-in-Advance Constraints in the Diamond Overlapping Generations Model: Neutrality and Optimality of Monetary Policies," Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications 97.52, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- D91 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - Intertemporal Household Choice; Life Cycle Models and Saving
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E61 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Policy Objectives; Policy Designs and Consistency; Policy Coordination
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Firouz Gahvari & Luca Micheletto, 2012.
"Monetary Policy and Redistribution: What can or cannot be Neutralized with Mirrleesian Taxes,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3711, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gahvari, Firouz & Micheletto, Luca, 2012. "Monetary policy and redistribution: What can or cannot be neutralized with Mirrleesian taxes," Working Paper Series, Center for Fiscal Studies 2012:5, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Michel, P. & Wigniolle, B., 2000.
"Temporary Bubbles in an Economy with Under-Accumulation,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications
2000.91, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- MICHEL, Philippe & WIGNIOLLE, Bertrand, 2000. "Temporary bubbles in an economy with under-accumulation," CORE Discussion Papers 2000061, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lise Clain-Chamosset-Yvrard & Thomas Seegmuller, 2012.
"Rational Bubbles and Macroeconomic Fluctuations. The(De-)Stabilizing Role of Monetary Policy,"
AMSE Working Papers
1207, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised 23 Mar 2012.
- Lise Clain-Chamosset-Yvrard & Thomas Seegmuller, 2013. "Rational Bubbles and Macroeconomic Fluctuations: The (De-)Stabilizing Role of Monetary Policy," Working Papers halshs-00793063, HAL.
- Firouz Gahvari, 2009. "Friedman Rule in a Model with Endogenous Growth and Cash-in-advance Constraint," CESifo Working Paper Series 2708, CESifo Group Munich.
- Stefano Bosi, 2005. "Sunspot Bubbles," Documents de recherche 05-25, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Stefano Bosi & Thomas Seegmuller, 2009. "On Rational Exuberance," Post-Print halshs-00367689, HAL.
- Basci, Erdem & Erdogan, Ayse M. & Saglam, Ismail, 2006. "Money, Tobin Effect, and Incerasing Returns," MPRA Paper 1904, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tarishi Matsuoka, 2011. "Temporary Bubbles and Discount Window Policy," KIER Working Papers 802, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Luciano Fanti, 2012. "Fertility and money in an OLG model," Discussion Papers 2012/145, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Leopold von Thadden, 2004. "Active monetary policy, passive fiscal policy and the value of pure debt: some further monetarist arithmetic," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 108, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.