Cash-in-Advance Constraints in the Diamond Overlapping Generations Model: Neutrality and Optimality of Monetary Policies
AbstractThis paper is a study of money in overlapping generations models with cash-in-advances constraints. The authors first offer a brief review of different features of the cash-in-advance constraint. Then they propose a general formulation and study the neutrality of money. The authors show that both neutrality and equilibrium dynamics depend on the form of the cash-in-advance constraint. They then show that optimal intergenerational resources sharing can be implemented through monetary transfers. Finally, the authors find that the Chicago Rule is implied by the optimal monetary. Copyright 1999 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 51 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
Other versions of this item:
- CRETTEZ, Bertrand & MICHEL, Philippe & WIGNIOLLE, Bertrand, 1998. "Cash-in-advance constraints in the diamond overlapping generations model: neutrality and optimality of monetary policies," CORE Discussion Papers 1998005, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Crettez, B. & Michel, P. & Wigniolle, B., 1997. "Cash-in-Advance Constraints in the Diamond Overlapping Generations Model: Neutrality and Optimality of Monetary Policies," Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications 97.52, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E41 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Demand for Money
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Basci, Erdem & Erdogan, Ayse M. & Saglam, Ismail, 2006. "Money, Tobin Effect, and Incerasing Returns," MPRA Paper 1904, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michel, P. & Wigniolle, B., 2000.
"Temporary Bubbles in an Economy with Under-Accumulation,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications
2000.91, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- MICHEL, Philippe & WIGNIOLLE, Bertrand, 2000. "Temporary bubbles in an economy with under-accumulation," CORE Discussion Papers 2000061, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luciano Fanti, 2012. "Fertility and money in an OLG model," Discussion Papers 2012/145, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Tarishi Matsuoka, 2011. "Temporary Bubbles and Discount Window Policy," KIER Working Papers 802, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Lise Clain-Chamosset-Yvrard & Thomas Seegmuller, 2012.
"Rational Bubbles and Macroeconomic Fluctuations. The(De-)Stabilizing Role of Monetary Policy,"
AMSE Working Papers
1207, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised 23 Mar 2012.
- Lise Clain-Chamosset-Yvrard & Thomas Seegmuller, 2013. "Rational Bubbles and Macroeconomic Fluctuations: The (De-)Stabilizing Role of Monetary Policy," Working Papers halshs-00793063, HAL.
- Gahvari, Firouz & Micheletto, Luca, 2012.
"Monetary policy and redistribution: What can or cannot be neutralized with Mirrleesian taxes,"
Working Paper Series, Center for Fiscal Studies
2012:5, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Firouz Gahvari & Luca Micheletto, 2012. "Monetary Policy and Redistribution: What can or cannot be Neutralized with Mirrleesian Taxes," CESifo Working Paper Series 3711, CESifo Group Munich.
- Firouz Gahvari, 2009. "Friedman Rule in a Model with Endogenous Growth and Cash-in-advance Constraint," CESifo Working Paper Series 2708, CESifo Group Munich.
- Stefano Bosi & Thomas Seegmuller, 2009. "On Rational Exuberance," Post-Print halshs-00367689, HAL.
- Stefano Bosi, 2005. "Sunspot Bubbles," Documents de recherche 05-25, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Leopold von Thadden, 2004. "Active monetary policy, passive fiscal policy and the value of pure debt: some further monetarist arithmetic," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 108, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.