The Effects of School Quality in the Origin on the Payoff to Schooling for Immigrants
AbstractThe payoff to schooling among the foreign born in the US is only around one-half of the payoff for the native born. This paper examines whether this differential is related to the quality of the schooling immigrants acquired abroad. The paper uses the Over-education/ Required education/Under-education specification of the earnings equation to explore the transmission mechanism for the origin-country school quality effects. It also assesses the empirical merits of two alternative measures of the quality of schooling undertaken abroad. The results suggest that a higher quality of schooling acquired abroad is associated with a higher payoff to schooling among immigrants in the US labor market. This higher payoff is associated with a higher payoff to correctly matched schooling in the US, and a greater (in absolute value) penalty associated with years of under-education. A set of predictions is presented to assess the relative importance of these channels, and the over-education channel is shown to be the more influential factor. This channel is linked to greater positive selection in migration among those from countries with better quality school. In other words, it is the impact of origin country school quality on the immigrant selection process, rather than the quality of immigrants’ schooling per se, that is the major driver of the lower payoff to schooling among immigrants in the US.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 5075.
Length: 51 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: published in: Gil Epstein and Ira Gang (eds.), Migration and Culture, Frontiers of Economics and Globalization, Vol. 8, Emerald Publishing, Bingley, 2010, 67-103
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
- F22 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Migration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2010-07-31 (Education)
- NEP-LAB-2010-07-31 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-LTV-2010-07-31 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
- NEP-MIG-2010-07-31 (Economics of Human Migration)
- NEP-URE-2010-07-31 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chiswick, Barry R. & Miller, Paul W., 2010.
"Educational Mismatch: Are High-Skilled Immigrants Really Working at High-Skilled Jobs and the Price They Pay if They Aren’t?,"
SULCIS Working Papers
2010:7, Stockholm University Linnaeus Center for Integration Studies - SULCIS.
- Chiswick, Barry R. & Miller, Paul W., 2009. "Educational Mismatch: Are High-Skilled Immigrants Really Working at High-Skilled Jobs and the Price They Pay If They Aren't?," IZA Discussion Papers 4280, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Chiswick, Barry R. & Miller, Paul W., 2005.
"Why Is the Payoff to Schooling Smaller for Immigrants?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1731, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Chiswick, Barry R. & Miller, Paul W., 2008. "Why is the payoff to schooling smaller for immigrants?," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 1317-1340, December.
- Paul W. Miller & Barry R. Chiswick, 2006. "Why is the Payoff to Schooling Smaller for Immigrants?," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 06-03, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Antecol, Heather & Cobb-Clark, Deborah A. & Trejo, Stephen, 2001.
"Immigration Policy and the Skills of Immigrants to Australia, Canada, and the United States,"
IZA Discussion Papers
363, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Heather Antecol & Deborah A. Cobb-Clark & Stephen J. Trejo, 2003. "Immigration Policy and the Skills of Immigrants to Australia, Canada, and the United States," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 38(1).
- Heather Antecol & Deborah A. Cobb-Clark & Stephen J. Trejo, . "Immigration Policy and the Skills of Immigrants to Australia, Canada, and the United States," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2001-26, Claremont Colleges.
- Julian R. Betts & Magnus Lofstrom, 2000.
"The Educational Attainment of Immigrants: Trends and Implications,"
in: Issues in the Economics of Immigration, pages 51-116
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Julian R. Betts & Magnus Lofstrom, 1998. "The Educational Attainment of Immigrants: Trends and Implications," NBER Working Papers 6757, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heather Antecol & Deborah A. Cobb-Clark & Stephen J. Trejo, 2001. "The Skills of Female Immigrants to Australia, Canada, and the United States," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2001-12, Claremont Colleges.
- Sweetman, Arthur, 2004. "Immigrant Source Country Educational Quality and Canadian Labour Market Outcomes," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2004234e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Qing Li & Arthur Sweetman, 2013.
"The Quality of Immigrant Source Country Educational Outcomes: Do they Matter in the Receiving Country?,"
CReAM Discussion Paper Series
1332, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Li, Qing & Sweetman, Arthur, 2014. "The quality of immigrant source country educational outcomes: Do they matter in the receiving country?," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 81-93.
- Aleksynska, Mariya & Tritah, Ahmed, 2013.
"Occupation–education mismatch of immigrant workers in Europe: Context and policies,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 229-244.
- Mariya Aleksynska & Ahmed Tritah, 2011. "Occupation-Education Mismatch of Immigrant Workers in Europe: Context and Policies," Working Papers 2011-16, CEPII research center.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.