Typological Classification, Diagnostics, and Measurement of Flights-to-Quality
AbstractThis paper proposes a total return-based framework to study flight-to-quality phenomenon of fixed-income securities. It consists of three elements: (i) the general definition of event; (ii) the typological classification of the phenomena to be able associate them with the phases of business cycle; (iii) automated technique to diagnose the time frames and to measure the impact of flight-to-quality on debt instruments. The proposed framework is applied to analyse capital movements from Emerging Markets public debt to the U.S. Treasuries and vice versa within the period 1998-2010. The results show that different phases of business cycles and GDP rates behaviours, including turning points, could be associated with flights-to-quality of different types and nature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon in its series Working Papers Department of Economics with number 2013/15.
Date of creation: Jul 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, University of Lisbon, Rua do Quelhas 6, 1200-781 LISBON, PORTUGAL
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
flight-to-quality; financial crisis; emerging market debt; U.S. treasury bonds.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-05 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goyenko, Ruslan Y. & Ukhov, Andrey D., 2009. "Stock and Bond Market Liquidity: A Long-Run Empirical Analysis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(01), pages 189-212, February.
- Randi Næs & Johannes A. Skjeltorp & Bernt Arne Ødegaard, 2011. "Stock Market Liquidity and the Business Cycle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(1), pages 139-176, 02.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2012.
"No Contagion, only Globalization and Flight to Quality,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/149092, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Brière, Marie & Chapelle, Ariane & Szafarz, Ariane, 2012. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1729-1744.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2008. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," DULBEA Working Papers 08-22.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Szafarz, Ariane & Chapelle, Ariane & Brière, Marie, 2012. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7746, Paris Dauphine University.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2012. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," Working Papers CEB 12-010, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- A. Javier Hamann & Irina Bunda & Subir Lall, 2010. "Correlations in Emerging Market Bonds," IMF Working Papers 10/6, International Monetary Fund.
- Zhigu He & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2012. "A Model of Capital and Crises," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 79(2), pages 735-777.
- Rodrigo Alfaro & Helmut Franken & Carlos García & Alejandro Jara, 2003. "Bank Lending Channel and the Monetary Transmission Mechanism: the Case of Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 223, Central Bank of Chile.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1996.
"The Financial Accelerator and the Flight to Quality,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Simon G. Gilchrist & Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1994. "The financial accelerator and the flight to quality," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 94-18, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1994. "The Financial Accelerator and the Flight to Quality," NBER Working Papers 4789, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Franz Fuerst & Pat McAllister & Petros Sivitanides, 2011. "Flight to Quality? An Investigation of the Attributes of Sold Properties in Hot and Cold Markets," Real Estate & Planning Working Papers rep-wp2011-04, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Qin Lei & Xuewu Wang, 2012. "Flight to liquidity due to heterogeneity in investment horizon," China Finance Review International, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 2(2), pages 316-350, August.
- A. Can Inci & H.C. Li & Joseph McCarthy, 2011. "Measuring flight to quality: a local correlation analysis," Review of Accounting and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 10(1), pages 69 - 87, February.
- Randi Næs & Johannes A. Skjeltorp & Bernt Arne Ødegard, 2008.
"Liquidity and the business cycle,"
2008/11, Norges Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.