A Model of Capital and Crises
AbstractWe develop a model in which the capital of the intermediary sector plays a critical role in determining asset prices. The model is cast within a dynamic general equilibrium economy, and the role for intermediation is derived endogenously based on optimal contracting considerations. Low intermediary capital reduces the risk-bearing capacity of the marginal investor. We show how this force helps to explain patterns during financial crises. The model replicates the observed rise during crises in Sharpe ratios, conditional volatility, correlation in price movements of assets held by the intermediary sector, and fall in riskless interest rates. Copyright 2012, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal The Review of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 79 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mariya Gubareva & Maria Rosa Borges, 2013. "Typological Classification, Diagnostics, and Measurement of Flights-to-Quality," Working Papers 2013/15, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- Andrew G. Atkeson & Andrea L. Eisfeldt & Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2013.
"Measuring the financial soundness of U.S. firms, 1926-2012,"
484, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Andrew G. Atkeson & Andrea L. Eisfeldt & Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2013. "Measuring the Financial Soundness of U.S. Firms, 1926–2012," NBER Working Papers 19204, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tobias Adrian & Daniel Covitz & Nellie Liang, 2013. "Financial stability monitoring," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2013-21, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- de la Torre, Augusto & Ize, Alain, 2013. "The rhyme and reason for macroprudential policy : four guideposts to find your bearings," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6576, The World Bank.
- Kirstin Hubrich & Robert J. Tetlow, 2012. "Financial stress and economic dynamics: the transmission of crises," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2012-82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Tobias Adrian & Daniel Covitz & Nellie J. Liang, 2013. "Financial stability monitoring," Staff Reports 601, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Martin Oehmke, 2012. "Bubbles, Financial Crises, and Systemic Risk," NBER Working Papers 18398, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.