Occupational Gender Segregation in the light of the Segregation in Education: A Cross-National Comparison
AbstractThe main aims of this article are to conduct a cross-national comparison of levels of occupational gender segregation and to examine the relation between the level of occupational gender segregation and gender segregation in education (both vertical and horizontal). The analyses include 18 European countries covered by the European Social Survey (ESS) conducted in 2004. The comparison pays a special attention to the position of the Czech Republic and differences and similarities between the EU-15 countries and the new EU member states, i.e. post-socialist countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD in its series IRISS Working Paper Series with number 2007-04.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 3, avenue de la Fonte, L-4364 Esch-sur-Alzette, G.-D. Luxembourg
Phone: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 1
Fax: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 700
Web page: http://iriss.ceps.lu/
More information through EDIRC
gender segregation ; occupational segregation ; cross-national segregatio;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2007-05-19 (Education)
- NEP-EEC-2007-05-19 (European Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2007-05-19 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dolado, Juan J. & Felgueroso, Florentino & Jimeno, Juan F., 2002.
"Recent Trends in Occupational Segregation by Gender: A Look Across the Atlantic,"
IZA Discussion Papers
524, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Juan J. Dolado & Florentino Felgueroso & Juan F. Jimeno, 2002. "Recent Trends In Occupational Segregation By Gender: A Look Across The Atlantic," Economics Working Papers we023011, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Juan J. Dolado & Florentino Felgueroso & Juan F. Jimeno., . "Recent Trends in Occupational Segregation by Gender: A Look Across the Atlantic," Working Papers 2002-11, FEDEA.
- Dolado, Juan J. & Felgueroso, Florentino & Jimeno, Juan Francisco, 2002. "Recent Trends in Occupational Segregation by Gender: A Look Across the Atlantic," CEPR Discussion Papers 3421, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cooke, Lynn Prince, 2001. "Impact of Dual Careers on Average Family Size: Comparison of 11 Countries," IRISS Working Paper Series 2001-05, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Chiplin, Brian & Sloane, P J, 1976. "Personal Characteristics and Sex Differentials in Professional Employment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 86(344), pages 729-45, December.
- Pavlopoulos, Dimitris & Fouarge, Didier & Muffels, Ruud & Vermunt, Jeroen K., 2007. "Who benefits from a job change: The dwarfs or the giants?," IRISS Working Paper Series 2007-16, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Voicu, Bogdan & Voicu, Malina & Strapcova, Katarina, 2007. "Engendered housework. A cross-european analysis," IRISS Working Paper Series 2007-07, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Martin, Ludivine, 2007. "The impact of technological changes on incentives and motivations to work hard," IRISS Working Paper Series 2007-15, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Kankarash, Milosh & Moors, Guy, 2007. "Heterogeneity in solidarity attitudes in Europe. Insights from a multiple-group latent-class factor approach," IRISS Working Paper Series 2007-06, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD, revised Jun 2007.
- Van Puyenbroeck, Tom & De Bruyne, Karolien & Sels, Luc, 2012. "More than ‘Mutual Information’: Educational and sectoral gender segregation and their interaction on the Flemish labor market," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 1-8.
- Lilla, Marco, 2007. "Income Inequality and Education Premia," IRISS Working Paper Series 2007-11, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Valentova, Marie, 2007. "Attitudes to Family Policy Arrangements in Relation to Attitudes to Family and division of Labour between Genders," IRISS Working Paper Series 2007-05, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Philippe Van Kerm).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.