The transition out of education and the initial steps into the labour market in the European Union
AbstractThe general aim of this research is the study of transitions from education and into the labour market among youths under a simultaneous framework in order to control for the interdependency of such relevant events. An extended version of the human capital model has been applied using the European Community Household Panel. The empirical strategy has aimed at reflecting the independent and simultaneous determination of both labour market and education transitions. Results show that the expected labour market outcomes do not significantly contribute to explain demand for education, other factors being more important. Finally, in the school-to-work transition, demand-side and institutional factors turn to be very important, education attainment effects being blurred by the nature of our sample (students in different points of their programmes).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD in its series IRISS Working Paper Series with number 2004-01.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 3, avenue de la Fonte, L-4364 Esch-sur-Alzette, G.-D. Luxembourg
Phone: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 1
Fax: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 700
Web page: http://iriss.ceps.lu/
More information through EDIRC
youth labour market ; human capital ; labour supply ; simultaneous decisions;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- J13 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Fertility; Family Planning; Child Care; Children; Youth
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-02-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2004-02-08 (Education)
- NEP-EEC-2004-02-08 (European Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ese:iserwp:2003-01 is not listed on IDEAS
- Blinder, Alan S & Weiss, Yoram, 1976.
"Human Capital and Labor Supply: A Synthesis,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(3), pages 449-72, June.
- Cecilia Albert Verdú & Luis Toharia Cortés & Rosario Sánchez Pérez & Juan Pablo Juárez, 1998. "- Las Transiciones De Los Jóvenes De La Escuela Al Mercado De Trabajo: Un Análisis De Flujos," Working Papers. Serie EC 1998-24, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Philippe Van Kerm).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.